File and folder permissions with Adobe CC applications

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
conte0815
Starting out

File and folder permissions with Adobe CC applications

Post by conte0815 »

Hi there,

I am using my Qnap Ts-251+ mainly as a fileserver (and some Timemachine Backups).
The problem I have is with packagin files from Adobe Indesign to the NAS. I connect using smb (as is the recommended method for Mac OS X Sierra). When I try packaging an Indesign file I get the error message that folders could not be created.
I guess this is because of some permission problem, but do not know how to sove this. Any Ideas?
Also: Opening an Illustrator File from the NAS I sometimes get the message "File has been modified outside Illustrator. Do you want to overwrite". I am not sure why this would happen. Any idea for this?

Thank you!
schumaku
Guru

Re: File and folder permissions with Adobe CC applications

Post by schumaku »

Current QTS version?

SMB max protocol set to ... SMB 3.x?
conte0815
Starting out

Post by conte0815 »

I guess QTS means firmware? Current is last: 4.3.3.0299
Yes - max protocol set to to SMB 3.x

I suspect Indesign (or Adobe apps in general) are using some kind of system process that does not have permission to create folders or files.
zagan
Starting out

Post by zagan »

Humm, interesting.

I have full Adobe suite, I use windows though, I don't have a mac.
Though have you checked out the afp connection?

Smb is for Windows network devices.
Afp is apple file protocol
The nas is lunix though lol

Qnap supports this, bit like ftp but you use afp:// nas ip or host name
So afp://192.168.1.10 or afp://nas-555

I suppose the other would be use qsync app for Mac then save to the qsync folder on local drive qsync serves up the saved files to nas.

You can set qsync to sync files on the nas but not delete files, as you remove files from your mac qsync folder.

As an add on to this you would probably want to set up a qsort/qfiler rule to sort/move/copy any of your in design files from the qsync folder to a sorted set of folders so it gets "back up" easy to find/saved in a safe area. Without you having to micro manage all the files all the time.

As for the opening files from the nas, I think that might be the nas changing the time stamp on the files, just make sure the nas has the correct time and check for daylight saving settings for the area on your nas.

As a side question do you use the Adobe cloud storage to save files from nas to the cloud?
That's what I want to do with my nas but haven't looked into that fully.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”