Hot Swap an eSTAT Device - Is it possible?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Hot Swap an eSTAT Device - Is it possible?

Post by BlueSkye »

I have an eSTAT drive connected to my TS-879 PRO. Is it possible to hot swap a drive either from the installed fixture or simply by unplugging and replugging the eSTAT cable on the back of the unit or will this crash the system?

Thank you.
TS-459 PRO II, TS-879 PRO x 2, TS-831X and TS-1685
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hot Swap an eSTAT Device - Is it possible?

Post by dolbyman »

hot "swappablitly" is in the definition of the eSATA standard(afaik) ... same as with USB
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Best practice is to always logically unmount (called Eject in the GUI) any storage before attempting a hot-swap though.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Post by BlueSkye »

Thanks to both dolbyman and P3R for the info. Also, "Eject" before pulling the plug is something to try and live by!
TS-459 PRO II, TS-879 PRO x 2, TS-831X and TS-1685

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”