SFP+ TS-832X not connecting

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
tmdag
Starting out

SFP+ TS-832X not connecting

Post by tmdag »

Hi,

Just got my TS-832X and want to set it up. I wanted to connect it via built in SFP+ port to get 10Gbit speed but neither my switch or QNAP recognises connection (like cable is not plugged).
I've tested same cable by connecting it to different device and it is all fine but it does not work with QNAP.
Standard ethernet cable works fine.
I am trying to connect without any harddrives installed if that matters.

Cable I am using:
1m (3ft) Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M Compatible 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable
connecting to Netgear XS512EM

QTS 4.3.4.0597

Update:
I've installed some random drive just to get to qnap settings but that did not help

Does QNAP recognize their own sfp transceiver and block all 3rd party cables?
Last edited by tmdag on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: SFP+ TS-832X not connecting

Post by storageman »

Not locked down. Check the compat list. Components look ok to me.

https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... ategory=26

Do you see the ports in GUI?
Do you see them in SSH/Putty "ifconfig"?
tmdag
Starting out

Post by tmdag »

That is a good news!

in gui/settings I just have info that cable is not connected.
Thanks for that list link. I just might have got not compatible cable. I will try one from this list then.

Cheers!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

I would have thought Cisco worked.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi tmdag -

please humor me here, and please follow my instructions.
You are plugging in your Twinax cable into one of the two SFP+ ports on the TS-832X, and nothing shows up, like it's not plugged in. But you know the cable works, because you tested it on another system.
PLEASE plug in something else (I don't care if it's an SFP+ transceiver, or another Twinax cable) to the OTHER SECOND SFP+ port. It does not need to go anywhere, or connect to anything.

Does it all of a sudden show that the first "dead" port is now working ?

If the answer is YES NOW IT WORKS - would you please email me privately ?
Let me know either way (it works, or it still doesn't work).

Thanks -
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi - to be clear (I re read my last post) - I want you to plug something else into the second SFP+ port of the TS-832X (not the second unused port on your Netgear XS512EM)

thanks -
Bob
tmdag
Starting out

Post by tmdag »

@Bob Zelin
Sorry, I haven't noticed your message before.
So this cable:
1m (3ft) Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M Compatible 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable (from FS.com)
worked fine when I connected it between my router and switch.
But no matter which port on Qnap NAS I connected it to, it didn't showed sign of life (tested with first and second port)
then I've got this cable:
1m (3ft) Intel XDACBL1M Compatible 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable (also from FS.com)
and everything seems to be working as expected.

Today, I've received Intel X520-DA1 INTEL 10GB PCIE SFP+ Network Adapter for my server.
Funny enough, Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M Compatible SFP+ did NOT worked. but Intel XDACBL1M Compatible SFP+ works just fine
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
I am glad the Twinax cable is working for you.
1) yes, SFP+ transceivers go bad. One of the many reasons I like Cat6 and not fiber (you would think it would be the LC connection, but the SFP+ transceivers fail more than the cables)
2) to "bash" QNAP, and to repeat what I said earlier - I have seen terrible problems with the TS-831x (never tried a TS-832x), where the SFP+ ports did not work. BUT when you stuck anything (like a Twinax cable or SFP+ transceiver connected to NOTHING) - the first SFP+ port started to work. Why? I have no idea, nor do I care. Like I said, I am not a fan of SFP+, Fiber and transceivers. I can get a QNAP
QXG-10G1T, or LAN-10G1TA, or more expensive LAN-10G2X-X550, stick it in the QNAP, and Cat 6 10G connection always works great.

Bob Zelin
pepperoni
New here

Post by pepperoni »

Bob Zelin wrote:Hi tmdag -

You are plugging in your Twinax cable into one of the two SFP+ ports on the TS-832X, and nothing shows up, like it's not plugged in. But you know the cable works, because you tested it on another system.
PLEASE plug in something else (I don't care if it's an SFP+ transceiver, or another Twinax cable) to the OTHER SECOND SFP+ port. It does not need to go anywhere, or connect to anything.

Thanks -
Bob Zelin
Hello ... I can't get my TS-832X to connect to the 10GB ports, it connects to both 1GB ports correctly. I have a good selections of DACs (Twinax) and 10GB transceivers to play with, none will connect the 10GB ports. I have ordered a couple Intel XDACBL1M Compatible 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable since @tmdag connected with those.
@Bob Zelin ... I tried your post about plugging a transceiver or Twinax into the second port, but after several combinations I had no luck. I finally put a Intel 540-DA2 into the bottom PCIe expansion slot and it worked as expected.

Cheers,
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello Mr. Pepperoni -
when you state "I can't get my TS-832X to connect to the 10G ports" - I have no idea of what you are trying to connect to !
An SFP+ NIC inside a Win 10 PC ? A switch with SFP+ ports (which switch ?) A thunderbolt to 10G SFP+ adaptor box from ATTO, Sonnet, or Promise ?
I can't guess a solution for you until you give me details, then I can make some suggestions. Until this is resolved, stop using any SFP+ transceivers and LC-LC fiber cables.
There are too many variables. Just use a simple under 3 meter Twinax cable for your testing, and once THAT is working, then we can proceed with your other parts.
As for your Intel X540 card - you put this inside the QNAP ?
The Intel 540-DA2 is not a supported card in the TS-832X. I am glad that you have things working, but when you buy a product from ANY manufacturer, you should choose their SUPPORTED products, so you
don't suffer through any crap like you are going through right now.

Bob Zelin
pepperoni
New here

Post by pepperoni »

Bob Zelin wrote:Hi tmdag -

Thanks -
Bob Zelin
@Bob Zelin I was just replying to the above quote. I tried what you asked this user and was just letting you know it doesn't work on the TS-832X.

My switch is a Brocade ICX6610, which has 40GB, 10Gb & 1Gb ports which works as expected with the Intel 540-DA2 card installed in the TS-832X. This is just a Plex box, so all is fine !
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Actually I quite disagree with Bob here.
I've seen far more compat issues using DA2 cables than with transceivers and optical cables.
This is because you can use different transceiver makes at either end according to what is compatible there.
I appreciate that pushes up the cost but optical is by far the fastest 10GbE speed due to the lowest latency.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”