Supported RAM?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
its_Tricky83
New here

Supported RAM?

Post by its_Tricky83 »

I have just purchased a TVS-473e, I am considering upgrading the RAM in the unit with either 2 or 4 x 16GB modules (knowing that the RAM needs to match).

The QNAP price for their official RAM sodimms are a bit of a rip off imo. Is it safe to buy KINGSTON ram witch the same specs of the official RAM modules? DDR4, 260PIN, 1.2v, 2400Mhz for example? I would keep the brand as Kingston.
The official ram modules are listed towards the bottom of the follow link.
https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/tvs-473e

And here is the KINGSTON Ram selector to match equivelant ram modules which would be a lot cheaper.
https://www.kingston.com/en/MemorySearc ... ltage=1.2V
Would these RAM SODIMMs work perfectly find in the TVS-473e?
Has anyone else had experience in using commonly available ram in the TVS-473e?

Cheers in advance,
Tricky
P3R
Guru

Re: Supported RAM?

Post by P3R »

I don't know the answer your other questions but as an answer to your topic I can say that the only supported RAM is sold by Qnap. Other RAM may work but they're not supported by Qnap so you may be asked to remove it should you ask Qnap for assistance.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
its_Tricky83
New here

Post by its_Tricky83 »

Thanks P3R,
Hopefully others can chime in as well. The supported official QNAP RAM is so expensive and I can't see why it needs to cost so much. It just seems like the same spec'd ram with a different product number.
Just like we can choose from a known list of supported HDD's, I feel we should be able to have a known list of supported RAM as well. It's removable and upgradeable for a reason after all.
I don't mind putting the original ram back in for the times where QNAP assistance is required. I would just keep the original 2x2GB modules stored in an anti-stat bag, kept close by to the NAS.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

My guess would be TOO many variables to have a "supported RAM" list.

Even the same part # for a memory stick over time can have different memory "chips" on it depending on availability/pricing/etc. especially if the memory vendor doesn't make their own dram chips/etc.

In the majority of cases, I have never had issues with having 3rd party memory installed for helpdesk tickets/troubleshooting. Occasionally, Taiwan will ask me to put the factory memory in just to help rule in/out a weird memory related quirk.

In general, if you stick with the major brands, crucial/kingston/etc. you are fine as long as you match the specs of the existing DIMMs.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
its_Tricky83
New here

Post by its_Tricky83 »

Thanks Trexx/Paul
I'll probably buy a few 8gb or 16gb DDR4 2400mhz sodimms to chuck in the TVS-473e, probably still keeping with Kingston as a brand.
Just summing up weather to go ECC or non-ECC now.
Cheers,
Sam
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

its_Tricky83 wrote:Thanks Trexx/Paul
I'll probably buy a few 8gb or 16gb DDR4 2400mhz sodimms to chuck in the TVS-473e, probably still keeping with Kingston as a brand.
Just summing up weather to go ECC or non-ECC now.
Cheers,
Sam
ECC isn't supported, so go non-ECC. 2400 will work fine, but when you run multiple DIMMS the memory speed drops anyway, so if 2133mhz dimms are cheaper go with those.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
its_Tricky83
New here

Post by its_Tricky83 »

Thanks again Trexx,
The information you've provided is very helpful and appreciated.
I've just been playing with Kingston's memory finder/selector, where you can even select the QNAP Model and then gives you PDF's for each RAM chip; which for the curious like me, is pretty handy.
https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/sear ... %20Servers
I'm glad it recommends the particular RAM modules I was considering from my own research.
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/kingst ... V0QAvD_BwE

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”