Firmware update -> Hard Drive Missing

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Wattson
Starting out

Firmware update -> Hard Drive Missing

Post by Wattson »

I have a Qnap TS-453Be that has been humming along trouble-free for a while.

I've been getting the "you better update" message for a few weeks so I decided today to first reboot it, as recommended, and then apply the firmware update.

After a while it updated to 4.5.4.1787 however:

My IP changed, which I didn't expect... it was always 192.x.x.77 and after it didn't come back for a while I used qfinder and see it came up as 192.168.11.180.

So I navigated to 192.168.11.180 in a browser and am met with "Specify Firmware Version" and 3 bullet option. I select the first, "Current version: 4.5.4.1787" and hit Next and get the following message:

Hard Drive Missing
Install and format at least one hard drive before using the NAS. A hard drive can be inserted to an empty disk bay without turning off the NAS. For the hard disk compatibility list, please visit https://www.qnap.com/compatibility/
OK

Really kicking myself for updating the firmware, I should have left well enough alone. Does anyone know my best option to move forward? Should I try restarting? Lots of precious data on this (mirrored) and am hoping to get back to business soon.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Firmware update -> Hard Drive Missing

Post by dolbyman »

seems similar to this (also a x53Be unit)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162874&p=798416
Wattson
Starting out

Post by Wattson »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:30 am seems similar to this (also a x53Be unit)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162874&p=798416
Update: working w/qnap support however it looks like my issue was resolved after hard power-cycling. ie, I shut it down via qfinder, then at the device I pulled the power plug and waited a few seconds, plugged back in and powered on. Now I'm mostly functional, just unable to access the GUI via non-https, and the https address while allowing me in is giving me cert/trust errors. Working through this last issue w/support but at least I'm back to my data.
hepcatnas
New here

Post by hepcatnas »

Same issue here today after a move. Got my qnap up and running then decided to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x as it was prompting me. Upgrade finished and rebooted and then my NAS never came back. Found it by scanning all my local subnets and it was on some random DHCP ip even though it was static configured. NAS was trying to do a fresh factory config and said no drives were installed. Had a heart attack....

Following the advice here I booted it after removing drives and it came back up with expected no drives screen. Powered it down and put the first drive back in and it finally came back up in degraded mode but with all my data. Let it settle down then powered it off and put second drive back in. It is now on the rebuild/resync process but my NAS is functional with all my data.

Not sure what the heck happened after the update other than something got put in a bad state and removing the drives cleared that bit somehow...

MODEL: TS253-Be
capoli
New here

Post by capoli »

Same happened with me. Started beeping after update started then got another IP. Used the workaround noted here recovering the nas

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”