App for bad sector repairs?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Benzius
New here

App for bad sector repairs?

Post by Benzius »

Is there a QNAP app that will "repair" bad sectors? I understand how to determine if I have bad sectors but I don't see how to repair them in the QTS / QNAP environment. I say "repair" because I understand they aren't being actually repaired, they're just being removed from service.

I kinda understand how to do this with some Linux commands (fsck, fdisk, etc.) while the drive is in one of my Linux PCs but, I don't understand how to do something similar while the drive is in my QNAP NAS TS-451DeU.

Thanks in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: App for bad sector repairs?

Post by dolbyman »

Did you try a bad block scan ?

It's in your Disk/VJBOD management screen in the WebGUI
Benzius
New here

Post by Benzius »

Yes, I ran the bad block scan but the way I understand it, that only identifies that you have bad blocks but it doesn't "repair" them. I am assuming the scan does not repair them because...they are still there. I am looking for a way to repair them. Maybe I am missing something.

Please & Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Normally when the disk is read front to end, it causes the disk controller to remap busted sectors to spare areas. (see SMART values for pending sectors). If the drive ran out of spare sectors, you would have to remap it manually (no idea how.. at that point I would swap the drives to be honest)

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”