noob advice, TR 004 too slow, looking for suggestion

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
danrdz10103
New here

noob advice, TR 004 too slow, looking for suggestion

Post by danrdz10103 »

Hi, this is literally my 4th hour ever using a NAS/DAS. To keep it simple I decided to order from Amazon a TR 004. I have 4x Barracuda Pro 12TB. Yet, this is just too slow for my needs and I guess I failed to understand that if each drive by itself can achieve 200-220 MB/s this DAS would not offer any benefit of RAID0 as the enclosure top speed is also 200-220Mbs.

could anyone point me to a simple to use (For a total novice like me) a DAS that could offer SATA SSD type of speeds? I have seen in YouTube old reviews of the TB3 QNAP TS-453BT3, but I don't see it available in many sites, was this a discontinued product? should consider it?

I think my ideal situation is to have Disk1-2 in RAID0, and Disk 3-4 being a RAID1 of (1-2). So to have the second pair being a replica of the first pair of drives to cover potential disk failures while reaching hopefully near 400Mb/s for photo editing (RAW files are about 100Mb so it can be painful to scroll a Lightroom catalog.

My preference is for a DAS, or a NAS that is fool proof (my internet router is 4-5 years old and it is not near my desktop computer so I guess I would need to connect over WiFi).
dolbyman
Guru

Re: noob advice, TR 004 too slow, looking for suggestion

Post by dolbyman »

The TR00x units have some very limited (and unknown) RAID chip in them ...functions and speed are not the best.

Check the plenty of video editing threads for some pointers to good and fast DAS enclosures.

If you would connect to a NAS via WIFI, dont bother with all these considerations, wifi is so slow that any NAS will do
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am always amused by posts like this, because it's always the same. You could have purchased a nice thunderbolt direct attached storage from G-Tech (SanDisk Pro), Lacie, Promise, Other World Computing, etc. but you chose the TR-004 because it was the cheapest thing that you could find. And now you are complaining about it's crappy performance. You want advice - here is advice. Buy professional equipment. Don't look for the cheapest way out. Don't buy a discontinued QNAP. And no NAS is going to allow you to save an Adobe Lightroom catalog to it - only the media (that's Adobe - not QNAP, or Synology). You could have purchased a TVS-472XT, or a TS-h886, or TS-h686, but you want cheap. Well, you got cheap. Want a 4 bay direct attached storage RAID - I just told you - OWC, GTech, Lacie, Promise will all be fast and will all work perfectly.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
danrdz10103
New here

Post by danrdz10103 »

Many thanks to both. In fact, I could not find many DAS from companies I consider associated with professional storage (like Qnap or Synology), and my concern is mostly storage/safekeeping so I am somehow not as confident of Lacie, G-Tech products, but you might be right and I should look into it.

on the Wifi, what I mean is that I dont have my office wired for ethernet, so even if I connect the NAS to the router with "wired/ethernet", I am only connecting my computer to the NAS by Wifi. I understand above, that in that case, there is no point to invest in a fast enclosure.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”