TS-251 performance very slow - upgrade/swap/config suggestions

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jamezm
New here

TS-251 performance very slow - upgrade/swap/config suggestions

Post by jamezm »

Hi,

I have been using a TS-251 for several years, mainly as an IP cam server (first using SS but now QVR Pro), file server and file storage. I have given up using it for much else (such as media streaming) as performance is generally very slow.

CPU load is at 90%+ almost all of the time. QVR Pro is the main CPU resource hog, but system processes are also a high %-age.

When I describe it as slow, I mean that most activities are slow and most NAS tasks are slow to perform. For example:
- QVR Pro itself is usable but the recordings (actual recording, not just playback) often stutter when a motion detection event is triggered
- it is often (not always) painfully slow to launch an application (20-30 secs not that uncommon)
- file transfer speeds are slow (I haven't got specifics)
- trying to use Music Station is virtually impossible, particularly via HD Station
- navigating apps on TV via HDMI feed from HD Station is very slow
- shutdown process takes around 10 minutes

Not sure what specs/info would be useful, but here are some basics:
- TS251
- BIOS is QW37AR32
- Firmware is 4.4.2.1320
- 8GB RAM single slot Kingston brand
- WD WD30EFRX Red 3TB SATA Hard Drive x 2 in RAID 1, static single volume (whatever that means!), 75% full
- Samsung D3 external drive via USB3 for partial backups
- Temperatures look ok
- I keep all the apps up to date
- Virus/malware scans are clear

Should I try a different storage/RAID config?
Should I try an SSD drive? If so, is there any way to have the OS and core processes run from the SSD, but use HDD for the large data files such as movies and music?
With the hardware I have already, what would be the optimum config?
What hardware upgrades might help?
Should I just go nuclear and do a factory reset and start again? (I want to avoid this if possible!)

Thanks in advance.
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-251 performance very slow - upgrade/swap/config suggestions

Post by P3R »

jamezm wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:38 pm Should I try a different storage/RAID config?
Should I try an SSD drive?
It's your CPU that is the bottleneck, not the storage.
If so, is there any way to have the OS and core processes run from the SSD, but use HDD for the large data files such as movies and music?
It's possible but you only have two disk bays so you would have to sacrifice a redundant system volume, which I would recommend against. Also, I don't think it will improve performance noticeably.
What hardware upgrades might help?
None that I can think of, other than a NAS with a more powerful CPU.
Should I just go nuclear and do a factory reset and start again? (I want to avoid this if possible!)
I doubt that will help. I don't think you can expect good performance when you're running that little machine close to it's performance limit constantly.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jamezm
New here

Post by jamezm »

OK - thanks P3R. I'll start saving for a replacement NAS. What's the natural step-up from the TS-251?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jamezm wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:23 pm OK - thanks P3R. I'll start saving for a replacement NAS. What's the natural step-up from the TS-251?
Any 4-bay with 53 or higher as the second and third digits in the model number. But the model line-up is a constantly moving target so the final model selection should only be done when you have the funds.

You can check these out to get a feel for what the cost is at the next level. TS-453D is new so may not be available at resellers yet.

I only have experience with running QVR Pro on very fast CPUs so you need to look for what users with models like the above think about the performance. Hopefully it's acceptable.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

With 2x4 GB memory instead of 1x 8GB you will be using dual channel technology and get some gain although in real life situations this isn't spectacular it seems. Plenty comparisons to be found on the web. Probably not worth the investment anymore.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
jawz101
Starting out

Post by jawz101 »

I'm going to switch away from QNAP for my next NAS. Something is fishy for the ts-251 to miraculously slow down after some point. It feels like there must've been an upgrade which purposely slowed them down because it's horribly slow to do anything for the past couple of years.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what is using the CPU ?.. did you check for malware infections?

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”