Removed support for USB printers. !!!!! What!!!

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
graemev
Know my way around

Removed support for USB printers. !!!!! What!!!

Post by graemev »

Just allowed the latest update to happen ...and bang my list of external devices just dropped
from 2 to 1 , no print for anybody on my network ...WTF!!!

Then I find:

" Removed support for USB printers. "

On https://www.qnap.com/en/release-notes/q ... 8/20211020

How on earth can they just remove a central feature like that without warning . The system knew I had a USB printer defined, it could have block the update until I'd removed it. Now I need to se up another box to host the USB printer, with ZERO notice :evil:
graemev
Know my way around

Re: Removed support for USB printers. !!!!! What!!!

Post by graemev »

This is getting ridiculous. I had to turn off the photo station because an update started mandatory facial recognition that was going to to take over a year to complete (so a feature lost) now a key feature I use everyday central print sever has gone. Meanwhile a whole load of junk has been added, i.e. yet another database. The system is adding more an more junk and breaking/removing more an more features .
I spent an entire working day yesterday trying to match up UID&GIG across systems, so NFSv3 could work properly , major effort on QNAP because most of the required commands are about 30 year old, find is so old most options don't work, still lacking groupadd/groupmod etc. I'd rather they focused their efforts on getting the basic system up to date and improving security . The system is become less valuable over time as changes are made.
wildekek
First post

Post by wildekek »

This is ridiculous without giving a reason. If there is an exploit out there just let your users know and we understand.

While doing this, I also lost my USB serial devices (nothing showing as /dev.tty*), so I can't use my zigbee adapter on my QNAP anymore and all my home automation was hosed and needed to switch everything to a raspberry pi before I could have my lights work.

I am switching to a competitor, this is just plain stupid.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Make sure you read the release notes and upgrade only if nothing you need is impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

Cbrad01 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 am Make sure you read the release notes and upgrade only if nothing you need is impacted.

Well, yes, my mistake. But digging though the release not for the single line "all your existing files will be deleted" is not something I should need to be doing as a customer.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

graemev wrote:
Cbrad01 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 am Make sure you read the release notes and upgrade only if nothing you need is impacted.

Well, yes, my mistake. But digging though the release not for the single line "all your existing files will be deleted" is not something I should need to be doing as a customer.
I will disagree. When we upgrade firmware, OS or application one should always read through the release notes to figure out the impact(s). Of the upgrade. Other wise there is the risk of lost features, lost data and so on. For instance on NASs that support the standard OS and Hero, if you switch to Hero you will lose access to your data.
Just as QNAP has a responsibility to document changes in the release notes, we have a responsibility to read them.

tessus
Starting out

Post by tessus »

Yes, I am not sure what QNAP is doing. I am going to throw out both of my QNAPs and build a proper NAS myself. Can't decide if I want to use TrueNAS or openmediavault though.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

see here for fix ideas before nas are thrown out , shot or otherwise destroyed

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=163129
tessus
Starting out

Post by tessus »

Nope, I am not gonna run docker or some other workaround. Qnap has been making way too many poor choices over the past years. I only got them because they were on sale at the time. But It's time to say goodbye and build a custom NAS.But thanks anyway. I'm sure others will find this link helpful. Cheers.
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

tessus wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 am Yes, I am not sure what QNAP is doing. I am going to throw out both of my QNAPs and build a proper NAS myself. Can't decide if I want to use TrueNAS or openmediavault though.
Please update us (me?) with your progress. I'm only sticking with QNAP as "the lesser pain" ...if I follow the advice of @Cbrad01 then I need to stop upgrading the Nas as soon as they break a feature I need ...which has already happened a couple of times ...I really should have tried this in the past, as soon as major feature of my product became a little difficult just drop support, my life would have be so much simpler.
I'll await "we've stopped supporting NFSv3 or RCP ..we only support DLNA for file sharing"

BTW by "throw out" I hope you mean "reinstall the hardware with ..."

Also in "buidling your own NAS" ...I'm hoping to be able to use ZFS....but beware if you have those dodgy WD Red drives ...ZFS drops them.
tessus
Starting out

Post by tessus »

I don't know how to PM you, nor is there a profile where I can send you an email. I probably won't be using the forum anymore. you can drop me an email: tmp011 at evermeet dot ca
I'll send you my contact info.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

PM's were disabled many years ago without explanation
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

wildekek wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 am This is ridiculous without giving a reason. If there is an exploit out there just let your users know and we understand.
While doing this, I also lost my USB serial devices (nothing showing as /dev.tty*), so I can't use my zigbee adapter on my QNAP anymore and all my home automation was hosed and needed to switch everything to a raspberry pi before I could have my lights work.
Is it implicit that any and all USB devices will stop working after the upgrade ? Including UPS and ZigBee dongles ?
If so, how are to understand the that the update notification about USB printers also affects all USB devices? Does this upgrade effectively render all USB ports useless for any purpose?
ImageImageImage
moody_blue
Easy as a breeze

Post by moody_blue »

wildekek wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 am I can't use my zigbee adapter on my QNAP anymore
oyvindo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:00 pm Is it implicit that any and all USB devices will stop working after the upgrade ? Including UPS and ZigBee dongles ?
Zigbee dongles often require drivers not shipped with base QTS, and many are incompatible with QNAP's usb3 ports. It's a risk to connect them to a QNAP. Furthermore, as any radio device, they need to be placed in open air, which often require unaesthetic extension cables. I use wifi zigbee coordinators and never had a problem.

I have a USB external disk connected to QNAP and it works ok with QTS 5.0.0.1853. My UPS is also recognized, although it is connected to a OpenWrt router acting as nut master.
Last edited by moody_blue on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
QNAP TS-253A 8G QTS 5.0.1.2145
Plex Media Server 1.29.0.6209
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M2
Unifi 7.2.92
Apache80 2454.8230
GLPI 10.0.3

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”