Unorthodox UPS USB Connectivity

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
ytene
Getting the hang of things

Unorthodox UPS USB Connectivity

Post by ytene »

Hello Everyone...

I have a bit of an odd question concerning the connectivity between a QNAP NAS and a UPS (Specifically, an APC Smart-UPS C 1500VA):-

https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products ... P-SMC1500I

The odd question is this... I have a couple of QNAP NAS boxes both connected to this UPS. Unfortunately, the UPS itself only has a single USB socket, but I am using it to protect both a TVS-672XT and an older TS-670. With the singular USB socket on the UPS, I know I can connect it directly to either NAS and both see it instantly and it works perfectly to control their performance during power loss.

I am wondering if it would be possible for me to run from the UPS to a USB splitter cable, or a simple hub, and then from the hub to both QNAP NAS boxes? In theory, ho ho, I think this should work. USB is a bus, so it is designed to connect multiple devices at the same time. Unfortunately I know from experience that not all manufacturers fully support a shared bus... So before I spend money on a hub and cables, I thought it would be a good idea to ask the community if anyone has experience of this sort of configuration and if so, what they would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
TVS-672XT/32Gb with 6xWD Red 12Tb [RAID6] + 2 Cold Spare
TS-670/16Gb with 6xWD Red 12Tb [RAID6] + 2 Cold Spare
Linux Mint 21.3/64-Bit / Windows 11 Pro/64-Bit
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unorthodox UPS USB Connectivity

Post by dolbyman »

not an uncommon thing at all .. don't tinker with USB splitters .. connect the UPS to one box make that the network master and the other network slave, check the manual for more info
ytene
Getting the hang of things

Re: Unorthodox UPS USB Connectivity

Post by ytene »

Thanks, Dolbyman - good advice!
TVS-672XT/32Gb with 6xWD Red 12Tb [RAID6] + 2 Cold Spare
TS-670/16Gb with 6xWD Red 12Tb [RAID6] + 2 Cold Spare
Linux Mint 21.3/64-Bit / Windows 11 Pro/64-Bit

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”