TVS-H1288X built-in PCIe 3.0 x 4 NVMe sockets

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Pablo1288x
New here

TVS-H1288X built-in PCIe 3.0 x 4 NVMe sockets

Post by Pablo1288x »

Can anyone answer these questions about the included NVMe sockets on the H1288X?

1. Do the two built-in NVMe PCIe 3.0 x 4 sockets share 4 lanes of PCIe bandwidth between them or do they have 4 dedicated PCIe 3.0 lanes each?

2. I have a WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD I would like to use (probably with a QM2-2P-344 expansion card), I've read that PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs are backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0 sockets. Can anyone advise me on whether i'm likely to experience any issues? (I realise only half the SSDs performance potential will be utilised).

3. I would quite like to use more NVMe SSDs in the NAS and would consider removing the included Dual 10 GigE card to install a QM2-4P-384 so I can add 4 NVMe SSDs and utilise the 8 x PCI lanes of that slot. I've heard that the included dual 10GigE card can actually be fitted with a low profile bracket and moved to one of the PCIe x 4 slots. Has anyone tried this? Should I assume the 10GigE network bandwith would become limited by a PCIe x 4 socket? Perhaps giving me just the equivalent of one 10GigE port in terms of performance? That would be sufficient for me.
delcieyu
First post

Re: TVS-H1288X built-in PCIe 3.0 x 4 NVMe sockets

Post by delcieyu »

Sorry if I'm being annoying but could I please get an answer?
danielgarza
Starting out

Post by danielgarza »

Did you get an answer on this? im interested as well
skypx617
Starting out

Post by skypx617 »

Pablo1288x wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 am Can anyone answer these questions about the included NVMe sockets on the H1288X?

1. Do the two built-in NVMe PCIe 3.0 x 4 sockets share 4 lanes of PCIe bandwidth between them or do they have 4 dedicated PCIe 3.0 lanes each?
I think only some at QNAP can answer your question accurately, but it was built to the correct specs, it will be ok. I found the following on Intel's website:

Summary
Explains and describes the amount of NVMe* drives that should be connected via a PCIe* switch.

Description
Looking to confirm how many NVMe* drives does each processor lane support when using 1x mode drives. What is the actual limitation for NVMe when using a dual socket configuration?

Resolution
Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors introduced a feature called the Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD). NVMe* drives can be connected directly to the processor's Intel VMD ports. Each processor has 12 Intel VMD ports where each port consists of 4 PCIe* lanes. Theoretically, up to 12 NVMe drives can be connected directly to the processor's VMD ports. However, the actual number of NVMe drives can vary because some Intel VMD ports may be allocated by the motherboard for other chipset functions of use of other PCIe devices and/or connected to a PCIe switch.

Four to eight NMVe drives can be connected via a PCIe switch. It is recommended to check with the motherboard or system manufacturer for the maximum number of NVMe drives supported by the board or system.

Plus the device (1688x) states its connected properly.
NVMe Boot.jpg
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html

Pablo1288x wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 am 2. I have a WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD I would like to use (probably with a QM2-2P-344 expansion card), I've read that PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs are backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0 sockets. Can anyone advise me on whether i'm likely to experience any issues? (I realise only half the SSDs performance potential will be utilised).
I have the same card connected to the x16 PCIe slot and it working fine with the Intel X550 connected to X4? bottom slot to the left.
1288x.jpg
Addin card nvme.jpg

Pablo1288x wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 am 3. I would quite like to use more NVMe SSDs in the NAS and would consider removing the included Dual 10 GigE card to install a QM2-4P-384 so I can add 4 NVMe SSDs and utilise the 8 x PCI lanes of that slot. I've heard that the included dual 10GigE card can actually be fitted with a low profile bracket and moved to one of the PCIe x 4 slots. Has anyone tried this? Should I assume the 10GigE network bandwith would become limited by a PCIe x 4 socket? Perhaps giving me just the equivalent of one 10GigE port in terms of performance? That would be sufficient for me.
Yes it works just fine, no issues whatsoever with the Intel X550. Keep in mind though, I'm using the 1688x and not the 1288x.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”