Hot-Swapping Failed Drives

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
TheInjunear
New here

Hot-Swapping Failed Drives

Post by TheInjunear »

Good Afternoon,

The Seagate ST4000VN000 in Bay2 of our QNAP TS-451-4G failed. Following the QNAP compatibility list, I've purchased 4 new Seagate ST4000VN008 HDD's to replace the old drives that have been spinning for almost six years. Using the TS-451D2 User Guide instructions, I've hot-swapped one of the new HDD's into Bay 2. The TS-451 recognizes the drive and will populate all the disc info. I'm receiving a 'Disc Access History (I/O) Error' and the 'Disc SMART Information' fluctuates between (Good) and (Warning). I'm running a scan on the disc now to see if it clears the I/O history. Did I mention that I swapped in one of the other new drives with the same results? Anyone out there able to help me get this issue sorted?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hot-Swapping Failed Drives

Post by dolbyman »

Unless you are running RAID6, two failed drives will be the end of it .. so if you have two I/O error drives in your array, backups come into play
TheInjunear
New here

Re: Hot-Swapping Failed Drives

Post by TheInjunear »

Only 1 drive has failed so far. Once I figure out why this new drive is throwing I/O errors and the RAID array rebuilt, I'll move on to replacing the other three. One at a time of course. What's happening now is that the TS451 menu is telling me that the new drive has an I/O error and won't start rebuilding the Data Volume. I'm trying to get past this hiccup and hoping that it isn't something to do with the boards in the TS-451 enclosure.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”