QNAP TVS-x72N Memory upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Yop1403
Starting out

Re: QNAP TVS-x72N Memory upgrade

Post by Yop1403 »

VenHeelun wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 am I did order the TVS-672N last week and also plan to upgrade the memory to 32GByte.
When looking on the product page at: https://www.qnap.com.cn/nl-nl/product/tvs-672n i see under Optionele accessoires a tap RAM.
The largest capacity ram sticks they sell is 16 GByte. The EAN code for this stick is 4713213514900.
When searching on youtube for this code i see that this memory has only 2x8GByte.
The TVS672N supports 32GByte of memory.
How can you get 32GByte when QNAP only has 16GByte sticks?

Where can i find the official link for the 32GByte sticks for the TVS-672N?

Where can i find a manual for a cpu-upgrade?

Thank you
This is the "official" link to the 16GB RAM (I have 2 in use) that works for me. Obviously no warranty etc.: https://www.amazon.com.au/Crucial-CT16G ... 051&sr=8-1
Main system: QNAP TVS672XT (recently modded with an i7 CPU) with 3x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB in RAID5 + 1x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB single for snapshot replicas + 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1. AJA speed results over Thunderbolt 3: Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s
Backup: QNAP TR-004 with 2x HDD Hitachi 4TB in RAID0
Yop1403
Starting out

Post by Yop1403 »

ewerber wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm FYI just upgraded my TVS-872N with an Intel I7 9700 and two sticks of Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 3200 MT/S (PC4-25600) CL22 DR X8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD832A.
The memory obviously runs at 2666Mhz, I ran 10 passes of Memtest+ and am now running a couple of VM's and the system is rock solid, the CPU sits at around 70% and 58C.
My TVS672 still has an i3. Do you actually see a major difference of the i7 for "normal" use or only in heavy duty stuff such as e.g. VMs?
Main system: QNAP TVS672XT (recently modded with an i7 CPU) with 3x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB in RAID5 + 1x HDD Seagate Ironwolf 12TB single for snapshot replicas + 2x NVME SSD Silicon Power 1TB as R/W cache in RAID1. AJA speed results over Thunderbolt 3: Write 663-965 MB/s / Read 1500-1624 MB/s
Yop1403
Starting out

Post by Yop1403 »

As you're all 'happy' TVSx72 users - are you actually happy with your devices?

I've had a broken Thunderbolt card, QNAP handled warranty just subterraneous, they wanted to refund my buying price (I purchased it on a special offer for ca. -40% and I have never ever seen such a price since) which means I would have had to re-purchase the same unit for a much higher price and it has taken ca. 4 months of back and forth with their repair service to finally get a new device as they haven't managed to just replace the Thunderbolt card - next time I'll just buy a new Thunderbolt card and install it myself if that happens again. On top of that they broke 1 of my 2 16GB RAM bars, of course they wouldn't replace it as this was not under QNAP warranty (had purchased my own RAM and didn't have the original ones anymore). I assume they worked without ESD protection.

Now with QTS 5 the NAS is crashing and getting unresponsive if HBS attempts a backup on an external USB device (I'm using QNAP's TR-004) as it seems there is a memory leak related to a USB driver. I expected the TSV672XT to be a superduper professional performer device - but QNAP's repair service, QNAPs software testing are just subterraneous.

So I'm seriously thinking to get rid of this device and switch to a Mac Mini with external hard drive cases (I currently operate 6 HDDs + 2 SDDs). In case anything fails, a replacement can just be purchased immediately as this is all very inexpensive hardware unlike my TVS672XT. E.g. QNAPs TR-002 HDD cases would do as external hard drives for the Mac Min. Very cheap and they also have USB3 Gen2 10GBit/s connections (my QNAP TR-004 only has 5GBit/s).
And isn't a NAS about data security and availability? For me, QNAP does NOT deliver exactly that as I'm scared of losing data with my QNAP devices, every single day - couldn't imagine using QNAP hardware as a business. Your thoughts?
ewerber
New here

Post by ewerber »

Yop1403 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am
ewerber wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm FYI just upgraded my TVS-872N with an Intel I7 9700 and two sticks of Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 3200 MT/S (PC4-25600) CL22 DR X8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD832A.
The memory obviously runs at 2666Mhz, I ran 10 passes of Memtest+ and am now running a couple of VM's and the system is rock solid, the CPU sits at around 70% and 58C.
My TVS672 still has an i3. Do you actually see a major difference of the i7 for "normal" use or only in heavy duty stuff such as e.g. VMs?
I have another 672N I am administering which only has a memory upgrade and runs SMB and PLEX, if you are not running VM's or a bunch of containers IMHO you should be good with the I3.
RichJacot
Starting out

Post by RichJacot »

Yop1403 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:20 am As you're all 'happy' TVSx72 users - are you actually happy with your devices?

I've had a broken Thunderbolt card, QNAP handled warranty just subterraneous, they wanted to refund my buying price (I purchased it on a special offer for ca. -40% and I have never ever seen such a price since) which means I would have had to re-purchase the same unit for a much higher price and it has taken ca. 4 months of back and forth with their repair service to finally get a new device as they haven't managed to just replace the Thunderbolt card - next time I'll just buy a new Thunderbolt card and install it myself if that happens again. On top of that they broke 1 of my 2 16GB RAM bars, of course they wouldn't replace it as this was not under QNAP warranty (had purchased my own RAM and didn't have the original ones anymore). I assume they worked without ESD protection.

Now with QTS 5 the NAS is crashing and getting unresponsive if HBS attempts a backup on an external USB device (I'm using QNAP's TR-004) as it seems there is a memory leak related to a USB driver. I expected the TSV672XT to be a superduper professional performer device - but QNAP's repair service, QNAPs software testing are just subterraneous.

So I'm seriously thinking to get rid of this device and switch to a Mac Mini with external hard drive cases (I currently operate 6 HDDs + 2 SDDs). In case anything fails, a replacement can just be purchased immediately as this is all very inexpensive hardware unlike my TVS672XT. E.g. QNAPs TR-002 HDD cases would do as external hard drives for the Mac Min. Very cheap and they also have USB3 Gen2 10GBit/s connections (my QNAP TR-004 only has 5GBit/s).
And isn't a NAS about data security and availability? For me, QNAP does NOT deliver exactly that as I'm scared of losing data with my QNAP devices, every single day - couldn't imagine using QNAP hardware as a business. Your thoughts?
I've had some similar issues with my QNAP(mine was a power supply issue though). I've built an Unraid system and am about to take my TVS672XT off-line as my families NAS and Plex server. I'll probably end up just flatten and rebuild it to let Unraid backup to it.

I have a friend that has a issue with his QNAP as well. The last update his kept chewing on the hard drives for a couple day and was very very slow to respond, if it did at all. He finally had to downgrade and it's back the way it was. He's tired of update issues and is concidering building/getting something different. As you mention the mac mini he is also considering a Mini with DAS as a replacement.
TVS-672N - 32GB - 4.5.1.1594 - Static volume - RAID5 - 6 x 10TB Ironwolf --- Thick Volume RAID1 - 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8 in a QM2-2P10G1TA
TS-453B - 16GB - 4.5.1.1540 - Static volume - RAID5 - 4 x 4TB WD Red

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”