QNAP TS-1079 Pro

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
rompstar
New here

QNAP TS-1079 Pro

Post by rompstar »

I was gifted this QNAP TS-1079 Pro, came with no drives. I did a factory reset and then logged in and upgraded the firmware to the latest version, which is: 4.3.6 ~ 20200929

The unit Boots up fine, loads the drivers fine, I can connect to it using Qfinder over Eithernet, its connected to my computer next to it for now.

I don't have any NAS drives, but I had a spare Mac drive that I wanted to test to see if it would see it, I deleted all the Partitions on it before plug-in in, I put into slot 1, I can hear it spin up, but nothing beyond that.

It's a very old 320GB / WD WD3200AAJS

What is the minimum size of hard drive supported, what do you guys recommend ? and also what is the min/max size per slot ? I will go any buy it.

This will be my personal thing at home, to house my movies and GoPro content and backup different things, nothing really Enterprise level for me, just to play around and learn it and create my own storage cloud.

Thanks for feedback, thanks!
charlyd
Getting the hang of things

Re: QNAP TS-1079 Pro

Post by charlyd »

hello Rompstar, for your knowledge of drives there is a compatibility list on the qnap website,

my question in general is:

Who is willing to help me out with a simple diagnose. if yes please contact me, so i can send you some pictures and explanation. i need to know a particular voltage which can be measured from the backside of the unit after taking out the fan panel.
It would help me but also others and maybe yourself in the future because i am reverse engineering the backplane from the TS-1079 Pro which will fail on these unit after a periode.

greetz charly
- Qnap Storage, looking for repairs from all sorts of hardware/backplane problems. [ for reasonable prices ]
( but also Tektronix, Agilent, Keysight and many more.. Scopes, Logic analysers, dmm & more..)
->> Get in touch with me on c.dickens@xs4all.nl ( no diagnose by email )
Professional hardware engineer

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”