Rebuilding my TVS-h1288X

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
a13antichrist
Know my way around

Re: Rebuilding my TVS-h1288X

Post by a13antichrist »

So now I have converted the Raid-10 to a 4-disk Raid-0. Current write speeds coming off a PCI 4.0 SSD are hovering around 600Mb/s, some sustained peaks at 650Mb/s. So I guess I have a bottleneck heh.

[edit]
Read speeds looking exactly the same. Stable around 600Mb/s, peaking up to 690MB/s according to Windows.
TVS-871 @ 58tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe,
R9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MbP M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
R3 2200G mini HTPC
Mikrotik switches & routers
OpenWRT & DD-WRT wifi
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

Is that internal or external transfer? Run iperf3 to see what speed your network is passing.
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

Cbrad01 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:33 pm I have the 1288h close to the same specs, but with 128 GB ram and I upgraded the CPU.
As much as I'd like to do this, I inquired with QNAP about compatibility and this was the response:
"Qnap does not recommend CPU upgrade as it will void the warranty."

I'll consider it after the warranty is out.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Aqualizard wrote:
Cbrad01 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:33 pm I have the 1288h close to the same specs, but with 128 GB ram and I upgraded the CPU.
As much as I'd like to do this, I inquired with QNAP about compatibility and this was the response:
"Qnap does not recommend CPU upgrade as it will void the warranty."

I'll consider it after the warranty is out.
This is why have the original CPU in a box ready to go back in if have problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

Cbrad01 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 am This is why have the original CPU in a box ready to go back in if have problems.
What did you put in?
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Rebuilding my TVS-h1288X

Post by Cbrad01 »

Aqualizard wrote:
Cbrad01 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 am This is why have the original CPU in a box ready to go back in if have problems.
What did you put in?
The package that the replacement cpu came in. I replaced the cpu with the same family and thermal profile as the original. I just gained more cores.
I have opens 4 or 5 tickets with Qnap and they have not said anything about the CPU. If for some reason I had to ship it in for WR work I would swap out the CPU.
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

Cbrad01 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am I replaced the cpu with the same family and thermal profile as the original.
Was it the W-1290P or something else?
lavaga
New here

Post by lavaga »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:29 pm In terms of central point for uploads...never do that unprotected via port forwards, but I guess you know that
just reading along... I was going to forward ports on my router so family can access the NAS. Don't do this? If not, what would you recommend? VPN?
TS-410
lavaga
New here

Post by lavaga »

casw1000 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:47 pm So, why does the NAS feel so sluggish at times and doing things like the Thumbnail generation not use the CPU. I never see the CPU get used hard.
HDD access speed is the bottle-neck probably. The cpu can't read the files quick enough to be able to work at 100% generating thumbnails.
TS-410
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Post by casw1000 »

lavaga wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm
casw1000 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:47 pm So, why does the NAS feel so sluggish at times and doing things like the Thumbnail generation not use the CPU. I never see the CPU get used hard.
HDD access speed is the bottle-neck probably. The cpu can't read the files quick enough to be able to work at 100% generating thumbnails.
I thought it was probably hdd access as well, but the apps and photo library are running off a nvme drive, and when I checkt the storage pool in question, its hardly touched, def not stressed out.
lavaga
New here

Post by lavaga »

casw1000 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 pm
lavaga wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm
I thought it was probably hdd access as well, but the apps and photo library are running off a nvme drive, and when I checkt the storage pool in question, its hardly touched, def not stressed out.
Is it operating near its limit for random access read speed though? You may get >150mb/s sequential for large files but possibly much less for photos.
TS-410
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Post by casw1000 »

I'll have to check and revert back. Currently at work at the moment. But I understand your thought. Let me check. Thanks.
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:29 pm If you are not dead set on QuTS ..I think these units also work with QTS, where you can grow RAID arrays by adding disks later.
I saw last summer that they are putting in a request to modify the ZFS standard to allow for RAID expansion. ZFS (QuTS) is generally better for RAID than ext4 (QTS) for most RAID applications in terms of reliability and efficiency.
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

lavaga wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 pm I was going to forward ports on my router so family can access the NAS. Don't do this? If not, what would you recommend? VPN?
A VPN is a great way to handle that because of the more robust authentication keys, but it also requires a port forward unless it's on your border firewall, which requires authentication right there. At least the port forward isn't straight to your server.

My VPN is behind a firewall (instead of on it) and the traffic has to come back into the firewall to go to an isolated network segment to get to the server for file or service sharing. I restrict the VPN port forward to certain source IP addresses and I added firewall rules to block the VPN traffic from everything and only open the server IP on that network segment from the VPN. You can further restrict by defining specific ports on those IPs. This prevents anyone within the VPN from accessing your other networks or systems directly.

Add a user account on the server with restricted permissions only to the files/folders that they can access. You can make a special folder just for them if you want with only the files needed. Remove all services from the QNAP interface on that network segment except those needed for the remote user. When you send the VPN key out, encrypt it to the recipient. Enable an IPS for additional automated protection, if desired.

If you're not able to create a separate network segment or vlan, then you could still attach a separate network cable to the server with a different IP, allowing you to restrict services on that interface. It would be best to have a port directly on the firewall as well so all traffic to/from that interface would be forced through the firewall. Then you could also implement a blocking rule for all traffic from that firewall interface and only allow the connections that originated from within the VPN. With that, if the interface for the server on your main network is also connected to the firewall, you could also block all traffic originating from the server on that port as well if your use case allows it. This would prevent the server from being used as a pivot point to your network if it were ever compromised. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. :D

Anytime you open up a port from the outside it brings risk, but you can layer protections to significantly reduce that risk. With this method, you've minimized exposure at each layer to limit the impact if there is a compromise at some level. An adversary would have to overcome multiple protections to exploit this vector into your network, making it very difficult and requiring a much more sophisticated adversary. Just make sure everything is configured properly. The goal is to create a hardened system with a small exploit surface, making you a much harder and less attractive target. Granted, there are probably other easier ways in, but it would be unlikely to come through this.
Aqualizard
Starting out

Post by Aqualizard »

New Build
Storage Pool 1 [System] 1.9TB [M.2 Slot1] All APPS
Storage Pool 2 [Cache] 1TB [M.2 Slot2] Mode: ALL I/O
Storage Pool 3 [Plex Library] 4x 18TB (R5) All Plex Libraries
Storage Pool 4 [Data] 4x 8TB All other shares
I have the TVS-h1688X with 2x 2TB NVMe, 4x 4TB SSD, and 12x 18TB HDD and 128GB of RAM running QuTS hero 5.0.0. I configured it with a RAID-TP on the HDDs with 2 spares and system on 1 SSD. I was getting horrible transfer speeds, internal and external, around 20GB/s total if I was lucky. I just redid the whole thing with the system on mirrored NVMe instead of an SSD, user data and VMs on 2 SSD striped array (this will have frequent snapshots), 2 SSDs as cache, and the HDDs in RAID-TP with no spares.

During the reconfig, I tested RAID 5, 6, and TP. I thought there were significant performance issues between them but then I discovered by accident the biggest differences came from having ZIL Synchronized I/O mode set to Always vs Standard. The slow speeds had nothing to do with the RAID configuration and everything to do with ZIL sync at the folder level. I was using Always on everything and accidentally set one up as Standard and there was a dramatic improvement with speeds around 260GB/s for transfers to USB drives and over 800GB/s internally (with four other concurrent copy operations occurring from external drives!).

Bottom line, if you're experiencing slow internal transfer speeds, check your ZIL Synchronized I/O mode settings and try the Standard setting. When they say the Always setting lowers performance, it really LOWERS performance. If you're experiencing slow network transfer speeds, check an internal file copy to rule out either the network or the NAS to quickly narrow down the issue.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”