Rebuilding my TVS-h1288X

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Re: Rebuilding my TVS-h1288X

Post by casw1000 »

Thanks Aqualizard. This should be something I can check. Very interesting indeed. I dont use the nas outside my network, so all tests will be done on the local subnets. I'll report back in a bit. Still working my job at the moment. Thanks for this info.
lapeh
First post

Post by lapeh »

I was super relieved to find a solution to the terribly slow transfer and copy rates but then I went to remove the ZIL Synchronous I/O Write Log and found that this is only for SSD caching which I am not using.

My situation:
TVS-h1688x
4 disk RAID 6

Transfer rates vai directly connected cat6a to 10Gbps nic at 30 MB/s max 8 MB/s average
File copy rates from RAID to directly connected SSD via USB 3.2 50 MB/s max 12 MB/s average

The disks are Toshiba N300 NAS hard drives and never show more than 10 MB/s read rates
CPU is consistently below 10%
Ram is below 10 GB of 32 GB utilization

It appears to me that the raid array is just not being accessed efficiently at all!

Please help this is my first QNAP NAS and I would have been better off making a software raid array on a windows box. Something must be wrong.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

@Aqualizard. Apologies for the late reply, work has been very busy. Today, I have been doing a lot of different tests. I understand you have more ram and a lot more drives in your storage pools, but I don't see how your getting GB's of transfer rates in the hundreds, certainly not 800GB/s. My comment is not meant in a negative way, but I just dont see how thats possible. I also found when creating a new shared folder, the ZIL setting is set to 'standard' by default on my version of QuTS h5.0.0.1892.

I will share all the testing I have done in a few days, as I need to format it in a way it does not span several forum pages :-)

Can you share more about your network config, are you running multiple 10GB or 25GB interfaces with Port Aggregation or something? I must admit, I am trying to see the benefit of QuTS version 5 but I used to get a much higher performance using 4.53 of QuTS. Anyway, if you have screenshots or can share more info about your setup, it could be really helpful. Also, what types of files did you use to get performance details. I would like to replicate if possible. Thanks and appreciate the time you spent posting your feedback.

Regards, Colin.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

lapeh wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:44 am I was super relieved to find a solution to the terribly slow transfer and copy rates but then I went to remove the ZIL Synchronous I/O Write Log and found that this is only for SSD caching which I am not using.

My situation:
TVS-h1688x
4 disk RAID 6

Transfer rates vai directly connected cat6a to 10Gbps nic at 30 MB/s max 8 MB/s average
File copy rates from RAID to directly connected SSD via USB 3.2 50 MB/s max 12 MB/s average

The disks are Toshiba N300 NAS hard drives and never show more than 10 MB/s read rates
CPU is consistently below 10%
Ram is below 10 GB of 32 GB utilization

It appears to me that the raid array is just not being accessed efficiently at all!

Please help this is my first QNAP NAS and I would have been better off making a software raid array on a windows box. Something must be wrong.
Welcome to the forums :-) Please keep an eye on this thread as I will be sharing a fair amount of stats. Can you share more info about your setup, so how much ram, what is your system drive. So you running 4x N300 disks in raid 6?
What about if you do a file copy from one shared folder to another using filestation. This should do a internal copy and show some stats about MB /s and time taken etc. What version of QuTS are you running?

Cheers, Colin.
tombulum
Know my way around

Post by tombulum »

Aqualizard wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 pm
Bottom line, if you're experiencing slow internal transfer speeds, check your ZIL Synchronized I/O mode settings and try the Standard setting. When they say the Always setting lowers performance, it really LOWERS performance. If you're experiencing slow network transfer speeds, check an internal file copy to rule out either the network or the NAS to quickly narrow down the issue.
Your post made my day.
I had set the ZIL Synchronized I/O mode to Always when I setup this NAS.
Transfer speeds were around 60 MB/s when copying files to the NAS, which is far below what I was expecting for 10 x 16TB drives setup in RAID-TP.

Now that I set it to standard, my write speeds are above 1 TB/s!

Now I can really start copying the 40TB of files from the old NAS.......
Primary: QNAP TS-h1283XU-RP w/ 10 x Seagate EXOS 16TB in RAID-TP
FW QuTS Hero H5.0.0.1949 / 32 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #1: Synology RS3617XS+ w/ 10 x Hitachi Ultrastar 10TB in RAID 6
FW DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 1 / 8 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #2: QNAP TVS-863 w/ 8 x Hitachi Deskstar 6TB in RAID 6
FW 5.0.0 / 8 GB RAM / LAN-10G2T-X550
Ternary: 2 x QNAP TS-879U-RP w/ 8 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 32 GB ECC RAM /
Ternary: QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 16 GB ECC RAM /

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”