can external hdd usb docker be accessed by diagnostic tools?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

can external hdd usb docker be accessed by diagnostic tools?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

I want to use my hdd usb docker to be accessed by windows diagnostic tools like WINDFT so i can run the manufacturers own diagnostic tool to check on a hard drive status if the QNAP qts reports errors.

But when i tried that, the tool does not detect the drive. i tried western digital, and seagate diagnostic tools with the same results.

Best i can do is be detected as a accesible drive for desktop pc, and also using windows disk management tool or aomei partition assistant to remove partitions and wipe the drives.

So i'm just wondering if anyone knows if any external usb dockers support these diagnostic tools? or is it simply not possible at all regardless of the docker model :'

i use something like this (not this exact model). it's very convenient for me to pull a drive out of the qnap to remove any partitions created when setting up a raid, so i can get a blank hdd to use elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/UNITEK-External- ... B073NXZTM7
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Kunzite
Know my way around

Re: can external hdd usb docker be accessed by diagnostic tools?

Post by Kunzite »

Yes, at least some models of USB docks can be accessed by at least some diagnostic tools.
I don't know about WD's Drive Fitness test, I used WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. There's a newer WD Dashboard or something, but I don't recommend that as it's complete garbage.
I used USB docks from Raidsonic and Orico, as they were cheap and available around here. However, these proved problematic - apparently they rely on the 5V from the USB ports; in effect, I started getting drive diagnostic errors drive after drive when connected through an USB 3 port, but everything was OK through an USB 2 port. So I looked at an alternative solution.
This alternative solution - which I'd recommend if you have a 5.25" bay - is an internal dock. I'm using this one: http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=4829 - from Orico. From every practical point of view it works like an USB dock; it has an on/off button so you can only use it when you want to, and it supports hot swap (must activate it in BIOS for the corresponding SATA port; you will still have to eject the drive when you're done with it, just like with an USB drive). Well, you can't connect it to your NAS; so here's a difference.
I've chosen a model which doesn't cover the HDD, not requiring noisy fans. It's powered from the PC's power supply so no issue here. And, of course, a diagnostic software would recognize it just like any internal disk.
As for the exact model... you might have more options where you live. This particular one, if I had to find a fault is its quality control; I had to return one because the HDD simply didn't fit in (does it easily in the second one).
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Kunzite wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:32 am Yes, at least some models of USB docks can be accessed by at least some diagnostic tools.
I don't know about WD's Drive Fitness test, I used WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. There's a newer WD Dashboard or something, but I don't recommend that as it's complete garbage.
I used USB docks from Raidsonic and Orico, as they were cheap and available around here. However, these proved problematic - apparently they rely on the 5V from the USB ports; in effect, I started getting drive diagnostic errors drive after drive when connected through an USB 3 port, but everything was OK through an USB 2 port. So I looked at an alternative solution.
This alternative solution - which I'd recommend if you have a 5.25" bay - is an internal dock. I'm using this one: http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=4829 - from Orico. From every practical point of view it works like an USB dock; it has an on/off button so you can only use it when you want to, and it supports hot swap (must activate it in BIOS for the corresponding SATA port; you will still have to eject the drive when you're done with it, just like with an USB drive). Well, you can't connect it to your NAS; so here's a difference.
I've chosen a model which doesn't cover the HDD, not requiring noisy fans. It's powered from the PC's power supply so no issue here. And, of course, a diagnostic software would recognize it just like any internal disk.
As for the exact model... you might have more options where you live. This particular one, if I had to find a fault is its quality control; I had to return one because the HDD simply didn't fit in (does it easily in the second one).
ty so much, this is exactly what i wanted to know.

i wasn't entirely sure if this is possible, it's good that it is.

of course you could always just open up your pc case, in bios setup to enable hot sata, and plug in drives... but i rather not do that if possible.

Does your docker support m.2 nvme ssds by any chance? that too has a dillema when wanting to update the firmware.

I've tried on multiple occassions to try and update the m.2 sata and m.2 nvmes from the QNAP, by using bios (using the usb stick loaded with the ssd flash dos whatever its called), and even via virtual station using windows. Neither worked (at least i couldn't figure it out after looking through instructions) :(

*update

dang i don't think my casing supports this internal drive you mentioned. there 2 big fans occupying the front of the case so there is no socket to insert that sort of device unless i plan to remove a fan for it :S

:(
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

Which case is that? You need a (free) 5.25" slot, the kind you'd normally put a DVD writer in - but more recent PC cases stopped including those. Removing fans wouldn't work.
I did this precisely because I don't want to open my PC case, and then I'd have to fiddle with cables, and I'm not sure hot swap is a good idea when fiddling with cables :) (the dock has an on/off button)

No, it can't support NVMe, and this particular unit doesn't support 2.5" SATA either (it would fall off in the PC :) ).
For NVMe you can get an USB enclosure, but I never tried any - and can't say how/if they work with diagnostic apps. Or just put it in your PC? Either on the motherboard, or a NVMe-PCIE adapter.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”