453D RAM upgrade ... gone wrong

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jensebhansen
Starting out

453D RAM upgrade ... gone wrong

Post by jensebhansen »

Hi

After reading about succesful upgrades of 453D's to 16GB I decided to take a shot at it, and order the following block:

Crucial 16GB DDR4 PC4-21333 2666MHz CL17 1.2V SODIMM

After installing the RAM in the primary bay and starting the NAS up, the NAS would not start up: the NAS didn't show up in my network, and (obviously) I could not get in contact with the NAS via the web interface. I then switched back to the the old RAM block, but it still doesn't want to start up.

.... to me it looks like I managed to mess up the primary bay connector, as I guess the NAS will not start up, as the NAS somehow does not see the RAM installed. Any suggestions are is this just back to QNAP for more detailed root causing?

Thanks & Kind regards
Jens
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 453D RAM upgrade ... gone wrong

Post by dolbyman »

if the new and old RAM do not work anymore .. you might have (ESD) damaged your NAS ... (if you were not probably grounded/discharged)

You might have to get a new NAS then
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

there is a possibility of electric discharge that can ruin electronics.

there is some cheap equipment to keep you grounded. but the way i was thought, just simply holding a metallic object for a few moments is a quick and cheap way to discharge any static electricity (which i am prone too cauz i sometimes get zapped when i hold metallic door knobs, no joke).

so yes.... before handling electronics make sure you ground yourself first....

when handling the ram i hold it at the corners and avoiding touching anything sensitive, motherboard also :/

also prior to installing ram, make sure you watch youtube for reference for how it's done, so you don't accidentally do something that would cause breakage to your motherboard when doing this because you were too rough trying to figure out to install the ram.

if the issue is a fried motherboard, maybe try and ask helpdesk if you can claim a replacement? make sure you state you used the original ram. hopefully it's possible, but i'm not sure if the replacement would be possible, doesn't hurt to ask. if they do agree to send the part you need, and you don't know how to replace it yourself and sending the device to qnap to repair is too expensive, then you can try get your local IT repair shop to fix it for you, this is what i do when i big tasks i can't handle myself.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
jensebhansen
Starting out

Post by jensebhansen »

Hi

Well today I decided to give it another try before I concluding that I had zapped the NAS which changing the RAM. What worried my yesterday was that I could not get the NAS online with the old RAM, but today I managed to get the NAS online - the first time without any discs in it, and afterwards with all the discs, and now it runs just fine.

But I just did try one more time to get the NAS up and running with the 16GB, but that simply didn't work. Possibly I was too fast when ordering the RAM, as the following article https://nascompares.com/2020/06/15/qnap ... ade-guide/ links to a Crucial 16GB block with the ID of CT16G4SFD8266 whereas the one I tried has ID: CT16G4SFRA266 ... not sure exactly what the difference is, but the first ID is "...D8266" and the second ID is "...RA266", so possibly there is a subtle difference between the two?

Kind regards
Jens
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

of course spazcompares will link there..there is sweet comission money in it

complain to that website/author, if given info is not correct
iiiwabibitoiii
New here

Post by iiiwabibitoiii »

jensebhansen wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 am Hi

Well today I decided to give it another try before I concluding that I had zapped the NAS which changing the RAM. What worried my yesterday was that I could not get the NAS online with the old RAM, but today I managed to get the NAS online - the first time without any discs in it, and afterwards with all the discs, and now it runs just fine.

But I just did try one more time to get the NAS up and running with the 16GB, but that simply didn't work. Possibly I was too fast when ordering the RAM, as the following article https://nascompares.com/2020/06/15/qnap ... ade-guide/ links to a Crucial 16GB block with the ID of CT16G4SFD8266 whereas the one I tried has ID: CT16G4SFRA266 ... not sure exactly what the difference is, but the first ID is "...D8266" and the second ID is "...RA266", so possibly there is a subtle difference between the two?

Kind regards
Jens

The FRA will not work. You need to get the CT16G4SFD8266. all three of my NAS (253D, 453D, and 653D) are running at 32GB fine. There is a few places on that site and forum also mentioned the FRA doesn't work. I notice the FRA is cheaper too but after research a bit more I went for the SFD.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”