TVS-472xt booting problem

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
haps.basset
New here

TVS-472xt booting problem

Post by haps.basset »

Hello
I will appreciate it if you could help me find what is wrong with my TVS-472xt. It is my second unit because my first worked only two weeks and the replacement was much better less than 2 years.
In the last few days, the system did not boot itself on the scheduler’s request. I configured the NAS to shut down late at night and boot early morning in order to save power and as a security precaution. In the last few days, the system hangs during the pre-bios booting sequence. I was able to boot the system by pushing the power on button but any restart always stopped during the pre-bios booting sequence. After a few emails with QNAP's so-called experts, the problem has been assessed as a memory issue because I used more memory than recommended and I used memory from a not supported manufacturer. Well, the upgrade was done by QNAP’s recommended product suppliers so I am assuming that the memory was upgraded by a knowledgeable person. Furthermore, the memory worked fine for me last 3 years. To verify QNAP’s expert theory, I have followed QNAP online procedure and I tested memory using memtest86. After a few hours, I got a clear message from the mem-test that the memory is ok. I was able to boot the system again but after the last night's shut down, the system died and did not respond to any attempts to power it on. :cry: I thought that is a PSU problem so I removed the PSU from the box to check the voltage on an ATX plug. All sockets have got proper voltage 5,3.3 thus I would say that the PSU is ok. After installing the PSU back to the NAS, I noticed a red light on the motherboard. Unfortunately, I don’t know what it means. The QNAP’s documentation is extremely laconic just useless so I run out of ideas. Perhaps you have had a similar problem and fixed it so any support in this matter is highly appreciated. :D
Haps.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”