How to make my NAS quieter?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
testerbuzz
Starting out

How to make my NAS quieter?

Post by testerbuzz »

Here is a recording:

https://youtu.be/xL8knqhc8wI

(Volume should be added), this demostrates that my QNAP NAS (253d) make a constant "buzzing" sound. Probably from its sidewall, because when I push/touch it, you cant hear then. Can something be done to eliminate that buzz?

Secondly, a "whirring" sound. I know its a new disk, and being synchronizing but will it be over in time? Maybe some using will grease it.... my 386 didnt use to whirring like that.... 8TB NAS HDD.
Last edited by OneCD on Wed May 11, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed title
testerbuzz
Starting out

Re: How to make my NAS quiterer?

Post by testerbuzz »

Thanks, but SSD would be extreme expensive. I already tought to remove its sidemetal and put a spounge between...
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

But what I indeed cant understand that why was my ex NAS tts228 quieterer....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

testerbuzz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:52 pm But what I indeed cant understand that why was my ex NAS tts228 quieterer....
Older NAS were build with better material, the disk trays of my 1288X and 951X are plastic, my 12 year old 419p+ has metal trays.

Plastic tends to vibrate and rattle ore that metal, so that makes them (potentially) quieter (not quieterer my English teacher just barfed a little)

Oh an don't connect your NAS via WiFi, performance will be cr*p
Last edited by dolbyman on Tue May 10, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

I discovered that I can modify on the fan, and if I set it to 1% the humming disappears (though HDD noise remains). Is there any side effects? If performancia drops, that doesnt matter
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

CPU and HDD's will probably overheat
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:37 am CPU and HDD's will probably overheat
Omg, wont it shoutdown itself out of self-defense?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The CPU can throttle but the HDD's will bake (there is a temperature alarm that can be set under global settings in disk management, but I don't know if there is still a max temp shutdown)
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

but if I remove one side of it, like that:

https://i.ibb.co/DbJDGg8/k-p.png

its totaly silent now, apart from HDD whirling :) although its unstable now, cant stand straight as it has 2 legs instead of 4
Ifti
Getting the hang of things

Post by Ifti »

I removed my drives and placed a piece of velcro (just the soft side) along the bottom of each tray, then slid them back in. This reduced HDD noise for me since the drive trays sit tighter in the enclosure.
I also replace the rear fan for a Noctua fan, which also made a difference.

You will see an image in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=182&t=165452
testerbuzz
Starting out

Re: How to make my NAS quieter?

Post by testerbuzz »

"if it looks stupd but working, its not stupid".
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

what hard drive are u using though?

i have this particular qnap model, i also noted some sound though as badly as yours. but the drives i use were not in good condition.

yes ssd is one way to go, for silent, but for high capacity it's expensively prohibitive. 1tb is now within reason. i bought a 2tb ssd recently but it's not particularly cheap that i can recommend to others unless u are fine payin a premium, and even then it doesn't beat the price for simply just getting a 4tb hdd instead for far less.

on the subject of noise, this video elaborates on the factors involved. but in ur case, seems to be hard drive related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkCQBddWNSQ

either your drive isn't as quiet to another hdd (not all hdds are equal in terms of sound. lower rpm drives tend to fare betters in this area), or maybe it's like a dying drive which makes weird grinding noises. or it's rattling in the bay because it's not sitted properly or it's something to do with a poor design that is causing it. could be one of these things i imagine :/

do u have a different hdd in good condition u can try? see if it sounds different.

i just booted up my ts-253d, using this as a comparison to what u are hearing. during boot up it makes a spin up noise as expected, still tolerable. and sounds similar to urs during some sort of activity is detected but not as badly as urs in ur recording, so is still within tolerable levels to me.

i'm not sure if ur situation is the same noise level i'm hearing on my end, or it really does sound as loudly as urs due to the recording amplying the sound to be much worse than hearing it in person. i'm assuming it's the former? i'm not too sure.

i can only tell u the sound on my end seems fine. yes it does make some sort of regular interval types of noise, but the volume is not that particularly loud to be an issue for me. if u expect total silence, then the only option is ssd. or just simply put the nas in a location not too close to ur vicinity out of ur hearing range, and still be connected to the same lan network (just make sure there is sufficient airflow where the nas is situated at)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

Im using this HDD:

"8TB WD 3.5" Red Plus SATAIII winchester (WD80EFBX)"

this seemed especially NAS driver, so I didnt dare to risk. Buying SSD in that caliber would have been extremly expensive here too (it's not even available in my local country).
Of course I knew that HDD-s are "loud" - but all in all, why is that whole NAS louder than my previous one? I used to have TS-228 but it was waaay quiter than that. No humming of ventillator, not whirring from HDD. Even the description said it should be quiter...
after all, I solved it putting the whole thing into the toilet room (lol).
but I try to keep in my mind that just replace the old NAS's drive, and whats the result.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”