10GbE connection on iMac Pro only getting 1 Gbps

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pcorriv
New here

10GbE connection on iMac Pro only getting 1 Gbps

Post by pcorriv »

Forgive me for seeming to be one of the numerous users having difficulty achieving a 10 Gbps DIRECT connection speed between my QNAP NAS and iMac Pro. I have delved through the array of forum posts and great info with no luck. In a nutshell...
  • Good news: I have a consistently working 1 Gbps connection between the NAS and iMac with QNAP's 10GbE adapter.
  • Bad news: I can’t achieve a 10 Gbps connection with this adapter.
EQUIPMENT:
  • QNAP TS-1673U (with 2 10GbE adapters)
  • iMac Pro 2017 edition (10GbE ethernet interface) - OS 12.3.1
  • Direct ethernet connection via Cat7 cable between one of QNAP’s 10GbE adapter and iMac’s ethernet port (no switch)
  • Note: No other ethernet connection used with NAS. Wifi used for internet on the Mac with a different subnet. The NAS is local only.
SETTINGS:
  • NAS IP address: 192.168.2.3
  • NAS Subnet: 255.255.255.0
  • No default gateway
  • NAS Jumbo Frame set at 9000
  • NAS Firmware: 5.0.0.2055
----
  • iMac IP address: 192.168.2.11
  • iMac Subnet: 255.255.255.0
  • iMac Speed: 10Gbase-T
  • iMac MTU: Jumbo (9000)
I must be missing something obvious and I appreciate any guidance on this. I have switched cables, rebooted the units, and even updated firmware…no progress. I have attached a screenshot below of what I see from the admin perspective within QNAP. Once again, thanks for any help!
10GbE Adapter Status.png
-Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcorriv
New here

Re: 10GbE connection on iMac Pro only getting 1 Gbps

Post by pcorriv »

The cause of the issue has been identified. I am using an SFP interface converter that only support gigabit speeds. I need to get the right converter to remedy the problem. Thanks.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: 10GbE connection on iMac Pro only getting 1 Gbps

Post by dosborne »

pcorriv wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:47 pm The cause of the issue has been identified. I am using an SFP interface converter that only support gigabit speeds. I need to get the right converter to remedy the problem. Thanks.
:)
Hopefully an easy fix for you then and everything will magically start working with them corrected equipment.

Let us know when you have it in place.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”