Automatic snapshot?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
testerbuzz
Starting out

Automatic snapshot?

Post by testerbuzz »

I have the newest QTS and "thick" volume. I tested the snapshots and figured out that I have to manually take a snapshot. Lets take an example: there is an x.txt file, a backup process (from Windows 10) will overwrite this file from C:\ drive, and if I want to restore it, on NAS I can right-click and see "versioning". Well, it only work when I take manually snapshot (or schedule). But I dont want it, I want to have it automatic. This file (and all files on NAS) should have an old versions so that it can be restored - or Im wanting too much?
Another bonus question: If I have 8TB HDD but already have 5TB amount data - how does snapshot works? I think its impossible to take a snapshot because it would then need another 5 TB which overflows (5TB actual data + 5TB snapshot > 8TB physical storage). Or snapshot arent working that way?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Automatic snapshot?

Post by dolbyman »

I don't even think windows has auto-snapshots (you have versioning shadow copy schedule, or event snapshots like program installs).

Otherwise any and all file interactions would trip a snapshot

Snapshots are basically delta changes, only the data changed from the last snapshot (or baseline) is added. So a 8TB HDD with 5TB of data could have tons of snapshots as long is the change size overall does not beyond the leftover pool storage
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... ick-volume
testerbuzz
Starting out

Post by testerbuzz »

hmmm, a little misdirection here. The windows itself wouldnt make a snapshot. Im just using Windows. This is how I was imagining:
C:\test.txt
- writing some lines
- copyiing to NAS this file
- on NAS, right click/properties/versioning, I would like to see a restore to previous version, without always pressing the "take a snapshot" on NAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

i understand, I was just saying neither windows NOR QNAP support version changes on access (afaik) just scheduled and event versioning

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”