My QSW-M408-2C switch doesn't perform link aggregation as expected (balance-rr)

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
teslaguy
New here

My QSW-M408-2C switch doesn't perform link aggregation as expected (balance-rr)

Post by teslaguy »

I purchased a QNAP switch (why isn't there a dedicated forum for switches?) QSW-M408-2C and the link aggregation performance is poor compared to Mikrotik.

I have two linux servers; each with dual SFP+ NICs connected to QSW-M408-2C each server is on a dedicated LAGG group - mode set to 'static' and linux configured to 'balance-rr' which allows a single TCP connection to max out all the ports that are bonded... In other words I should be able to get 20Gbps speeds.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... balance-rr
If this mode is set, packets are transmitted in sequential order from the first available slave to the last. The balance-rr is the only mode that will send packets across multiple interfaces that belong to the same TCP/IP connection. When utilizing multiple sending and multiple receiving links, packets are often received out of order, which results in segment retransmission, for other protocols such as UDP it is not a problem if a client software can tolerate out-of-order packets. If a switch is used to aggregate links together, then appropriate switch port configuration is required, however many switches do not support balance-rr. Quick setup guide demonstrates the usage of the balance-rr bonding mode. As you can see, it is quite simple to set up. Balance-rr is also useful for bonding several wireless links, however, it requires equal bandwidth for all bonded links. If the bandwidth of one bonded link drops, then the total bandwidth of bond will be equal to the bandwidth of the slowest bonded link.

Questions to QNAP support... your switch doesn't seem to support this mode at all. Your switches run linux is that correct? Can you add the bonding algorithms needed to get on-par with Mikrotik? This is an open-source and supported feature on Cisco switches too ("Etherchannel")
OneCD
Guru

Re: My QSW-M408-2C switch doesn't perform link aggregation as expected (balance-rr)

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please note: this is a community forum and not a QNAP support channel. If you require assistance from QNAP, please create a help desk ticket: https://service.qnap.com

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”