Uploading data

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Arrow84
Starting out

Uploading data

Post by Arrow84 »

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of NAS and I got a bit stuck so arrived here hoping to find help...

I'm at work as write this so can't give the model of my NAS but I know it's TP-something and it's 2 bay, I’m kinda hoping it doesn't matter though

So the problem I'd like help with...I'm all up and running fine, I usually transfer files either by internet browser or the Qfile app on my phone over Wi-Fi, this can take a few minutes if it's a large file which I’m ok with but now I want to transfer a lot of files from my portable hard drive (this HDD is very old and I want to get the data off before it dies). This HDD is 1TB and ~90% full.

After looking online someone suggested (to someone else in another forum) the quickest way would be to take out one of the disks from the NAS and plug it in directly to the PC, then transfer. I tried this but since learnt windows won’t interact with NAS formatted disks...searched for this and apparently Linux can, therefore my intentions are now to get my pc to boot Linux and then transfer the data.

Can someone let me know if 1) I’m going down the right/best path to do this, and 2) if I am doing this right, once I have transferred the data and put my disk back in the NASbox...will it mirror the data to the 2nd by itself or do I have to do something? I'm using raid 1

Appreciate any help, thanks
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Uploading data

Post by FSC830 »

This is - sorry to say - nonsens!
With an old Cat1 NAS this could be done (with some efforts), but with newer Cat2 NAS there is nearly no way.
The newer Cat2 models using a lvm layer at top of the mdadm. The lvm layer seems to be modified by QNAP.
Several people have reported that they succeeded in "rebuilding" the mdadm layer at a pc, but struggle to rebuild the lvm layer due to some incompabilites to Linux binaries.

Anyhow, you should know the exact model you use, TP is very unlikely, I guess its TS or TVS. Also the exact QTS version is mandatory to know.
And WiFi is usually the slowest way to transfer files.
If you need to transfer data from PC to NAS, use wired LAN or an external USB drive you can connect at both devices.

Regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

a NAS is Network Attached Storage. PLEASE DO NOT TREAT it as a USB Hard Disk dock. You will be very sorry as it doesn't work well in that situation. Put the drives in the NAS, leave them there until you need to replace due to failure or upgrade, NOT for backup.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

Hi,

Thank you for your help, I must admit the first bit went over my head a little but got the jist of it and will scrap that idea

I've managed to find out the model, it's QNAP TS-219p Turbo...I can't tell you the version though until i'm back home, i dont have remote access

I can see a few guides on how to connect via LAN so i will try that, thanks again
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

A TS-219 is an old Cat1 model with FW v4.2.x or 4.3.x.
Anyhow a very old (and slow) ARM device.
Its worth, to think about a replacement. :wink:

Regards
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

Thanks dosborne, I've read many of post saying the same thing and I take that on board

The main reason is the portable HDD is encased in an enclosure with a USB interface, this interface has gone faulty but my pc could still read the disk when I took the disk out and connected it directly.

With this happening and due to the age of it I’m taking it as a sign to get the data off whilst I got the chance. The NAS box is the only alternative I have for the time being until I can sort out another option for a back up but I wont rely on it for long
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

FSC830, It’s definitely not the newest, it was gifted to me when a friend upgraded theirs

I do like it though, I will definitely upgrade when I can…it’ll probably have to wait until the new year though
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

Hi guys,

Back again! i never got a chance to mess with it last night but i'm trying the above now

I'm not sure if i got it right though...

I've no doubt FW will be asked so this is 4.3.3.1945 build 20220303

I've got it plugged in via ethernet and followed some instructions to set the TCP/IPv4 ip to 169.254.100.99 + SM 255.255.0.0 which I've done

BTW, my pc is USB tethered using my mobile for internet access (not sure if this makes any difference)...this connection is DHCP

So Qfinder still can't find the NAS but if type in 169.254.100.100:8080 into chrome then it finds it and i can login but if i try to upload my max speed is less than 10MB/s

If this is normal then thats fine i'll just leave it but i did expect it to be higher
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

If transfer speed stucks at abt. 10MB/s it seems to be a Fast Ethernet connection.
The NAS itself is able for 1GB/s. So check i.e. your cable if all 8 wires (+shield) are fine or if one is broken.

BTW: if possible you should use IP from an other range, but not 169.254.x.x/255.255.0.0.
This is an IP range called APIPA and used, if a device is configured for DHCP, but cant find a DHCP server.

Regards
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

Hi FSC830,

I decided to start from scratch and set my router to cycle dhcp without using 192.168.1.1-10 then gave the nasbox the ip of 192.168.1.3 as this what it was previously.

My desktop uses 192.168.1.2

after doing this qfinder found it stright away, windows can see it in the network folder so we're all good

it then tells me the file system is not clean so it's currently checking that (94%) and also needs a firmware update

Once all this is done i will try and transfer again and see how it goes

I'm also using cat5e cable, i wouldve thought this would have been ok but i know i have cat6 at work so will be bring one home tomorrow just to make sure

appriciate your help...thank you
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

Hello,

So after all of the above the transfer speed is no better and bounces around 10 - 15MB/s, this is also with a different cable which is now cat6

However, the cpu on the nas in constantly sat 100% so unless any tells me different...i would expect any response from anyone here to say thats it's cuz my nas is so old and slow.

Again, even with it being old i still wouldve expected higher but i guess my cpu is telling me different

Looking around, when others have talked about cpu bottleneck they have asked for SSH info so i have tried my best to get this and attached it...hoping i've done it right...bare in mind this is in the middle of transfering files

I'm kinda hoping something is wrong that can be fixed to get better speeds but if not and it is cuz the machine is old then at least i know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Do you use all this stuff: Multimedia, Qsync Central?
If so, disable/de-install these apps, these can slow down this old NAS.
At my TS-419 I did never use such apps, the GUI was often not accessible.
Even with "only" Backup Station (forerunner of HBS) the NAS was incredible slow.

My advise: de-install/deactivate all apps you do not need, just run the protocols (SMB, nfs) you need.

Regards
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

I dont use any apps, we only use it as a streaming service for devices connected to it via wifi

I'll take a look into the apps and see which one's can go
Arrow84
Starting out

Post by Arrow84 »

I've removed a few that I thought weren't needed...I'm only left with the helpdesk and the QTS certificate

It has improved slightly bounces above and below the 20MBs

CPU 100% RAM 38% when transferring

I really doubt there's anything wrong with the pc...task manager says its using CPU 5% memory 25% disk ~16%
I know its all gigabit connections and cat6 wire...everything points to the box and the box is pointing to the CPU and the CPU is crying

I only have to do this once for the time being..as in a big transfer of data..I'll leave it over night then it will be done and anything in the future I'll be able to manage

If nothing else I've learnt some stuff along the way!

As said previously, I may start thinking about a upgrade in the new year

Thanks again for all your help
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

At least you know that the 1GB/s is running.
With 100MB/s the peak would not exceed 12-15 MB/s.

Regards

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”