TS-451+ not seeing hdd's

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Alexuk22
New here

TS-451+ not seeing hdd's

Post by Alexuk22 »

Hi Community,

I'm new to NAS (noob) ownership and in need of some help.

I bought a TS-451+ sold as spares, managed to get it cleaned up and powered on, opened it up and there was no ram present, picked up 2 ddr3l 4GB sticks installed them and got to the initialisation landing page.

The TS-451+ came with 4 1TB drives but all I get is the following message Hard Drive Missing, when I click ok, I do not get the option to Install and format any of the drives, I am using 4 x WD - WD1005FBYZ - Enterprise Drives Gold - 1 TB (these have been tested using smart tool and confirmed good)

I have also successfully ssh'd into the nas but I am unable to see the Console Management options (just a blank terminal) to attempt to format the drives manually or perform any factory reset.

Reached out to Qnap support and got the below reply

Please try removing the drives, wait for a minute then insert one drive at a time the NAS should beep when it detects the drive.
if not wait about 10 seconds in between drives.

My response

I have followed your advice and also the instructions in the below link, but still no joy.

qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/article/boot-the-nas-without-disks

One thing I have tried that made a difference was using a 1TB 860evo SSD, I was able to go through the initialisation/setup process. I then shut down the NAS and systematically restarted/shut down the NAS with the SSD in a different bay each time and each time the SSD was recognised in all 4 bays once the NAS rebooted.

Can you please advise on where I can go from here as my WD1005FBYZ - Enterprise Drives Gold - 1 TB HDDs are not recognised at all in any of the four bays, I'm also hearing unusual noises from the HDD when in the NAS.

I have connected each HDD to my desktop and I don't hear any noises and S.M.A.R.T. data indicates no issue with the drives.

Could the issue be with the TS-451+ backplane?

\Cry for help

Sorry for the drawn-out post but I would really appreciate any input from the community, I'm thinking (somewhat of an educated guess lol) is it a power delivery issue with the backplane, can a replacement be sourced or the backplane be repaired?

I know this is an older maybe even legacy model but they can still be purchased new I'm hoping at a cost Qnap my help me out, I paid just over £100 for it and with the HDDs alone that's not a bad price could sell them and just use SSDs though I'm airing on the side of caution as to whether that will work!

Thanks in advance and please don't hesitate to shout if I have missed or can provide any more info.

Regards

Alex
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-451+ not seeing hdd's

Post by dolbyman »

You might have discovered the reason it was sold as scrap/parts (not enough power supplied to drives for spinners..just for ssd)
Alexuk22
New here

Post by Alexuk22 »

Yeah agreed, hoping qnap will come through or I can pick up one for spare parts.

Can you tell me is there anywhere on the forum that posts sales of parts etc...?

If I could supply proof of purchase I can extend the warranty which would be worth it but not sure I can do that, unfortunately, I may reach out to the eBay seller worth a shot I guess

Thanks, sir

Alex
New to NAS, owner of a semi-working
QNAP TS451+ 4 Bay Desktop NAS 8gb fw - 5.0.1.2145 build 20220903
4 x WD1005FBYZ - Enterprise Drives Gold - 1 TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Qnap does not sell internal spare parts, so you would have to either source them yourself (e.g. ebay for LPC death 451+, where you can take the backplane out) or ask them via ticket to repair it in house
Alexuk22
New here

Post by Alexuk22 »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:15 am Qnap does not sell internal spare parts, so you would have to either source them yourself (e.g. ebay for LPC death 451+, where you can take the backplane out) or ask them via ticket to repair it in house
Thanks for the reply sir much appreciated,

I have read that this is the case since looking into the issue. I have also seen that this is not an uncommon occurrence, it's a shame that these backplanes/controllers can't be sourced as spare parts they're easily replaceable and there is obviously a market for them.

I'd really like to think this is a company that has not decided that they'd rather force the end user to buy a new unit rather than supply spares, but it's hard to understand the logic behind the decision without coming to that conclusion especially given how flakey they can be

They're not the first company and won't be the last, unfortunately, to employ this tactic, hopefully, with the right-to-repair proposed framework, this will start to change over time.
New to NAS, owner of a semi-working
QNAP TS451+ 4 Bay Desktop NAS 8gb fw - 5.0.1.2145 build 20220903
4 x WD1005FBYZ - Enterprise Drives Gold - 1 TB

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”