How to port trunking with usb adapters with or without Pfsense

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
JM_BR
First post

How to port trunking with usb adapters with or without Pfsense

Post by JM_BR »

Hello everyone and thanks for the help.

I own a NAS model TS-364, which I have to experiment on networks, nases, etc, a kind of home laboratory.

I have two concerns to experiment in the short term, although there are many more, on the one hand take advantage of the internal network speed of 10 Gb and also experiment with having a balanced output to the internet, with two or more providers also at high speed.

I have also acquired a QNAP managed switch, with 8 2.5Gb ports and 2 10Gb ports, it also allows to create port trunking links, as my NAS only has 1 2.5Gb port, and the USB adapters of 2.5Gb, with chip Realtek, cost about 20$, I have acquired several, to do port trunking on the NAS or I have another idea, I like this option even more, do it with a Pfsense virtual machine that I have installed on the NAS, because it helps me to balance the traffic between my two fibre lines, which seems to me a very interesting experiment/practice, but I have two problems

In the NAS, in the network adapters menu, the port trunking menu does not appear, in case the documentation I have consulted or internet examples I have seen do not match my QTS version (5.0.1.2173) updated yesterday, I have gone through all the menus, but I can't find it. I think that as my NAS has only 1 integrated NIC, the option does not appear, even if I have several USB NIC adapters connected simultaneously.

I have also tried in Pfsense to configure the port trunking, there it is called LAGG and you can choose several types. The type I would like to configure is LACP, but it doesn't work directly, I don't transmit anything, it only allows me to use LAGG LOADBALANCE version, but instead of working the same in the performance tests using LAGG, the speed drops. The tests were carried out with two PCs connected to the switch with a 1 Gb NIC, I have configured them so that each of them is forced to use a specific provider.

If I use 1 USB 2.5Gb to 2 internet lines 1Gb each ISP, I get in the speed tests 1Gb + 1Gb, which would be ideal.

If I use LAGG LOADBALANCE of 2 or 3 USB 2.5Gb aggregate, to 2 lines of 1 Gb each ISP, the speed tests instead of being identical, the speed drops to approximately 0.7 Gb + 0.7 Gb.

Any advice or recommendations on configuration to get better performance?. In my country, speeds higher than 1 Gb are starting to be marketed and I would like to have the systems ready to experiment with them.

Thanks for your help, best regards.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”