Parts replacement? BUYER BEWARE

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
nibbles
Getting the hang of things

Re: Parts replacement? BUYER BEWARE

Post by nibbles »

dosborne wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:37 am
BUYER BEWARE
Pretty much applies to any hardware vendor of any device.
Not all hardware vendors are doing this but yes... some are... If it's simple part replacement, then it shouldn't be a big deal for vendor to help and fulfill such a request.
This is why I have avoided Apple products all my life.
I couldn't agree more there and it's also the very same reason why. Now it doesn't mean I don't support certain reasons or products to be not repairable but Apple did go to extremes to enforce this and primarily for greed to increase their sales at the end of the day and I could go on with them on many other points... but don't want to veer off topic to much :-)
As for "holding you hostage", I disagree. You just need to have a backup of your data. With a backup, there would be no need to be reliant on parts from a specific vendor.
Bottom line, if a vendor is able to facilitate a part which is modular component in nature, then no matter the vendor, if they force a policy unless it's them that services it so you can get the part, then it's a form of holding the customer hostage. I would say this regardless of any product. If we're talking about the entire mainboard, then I could agree with you as this is the heart and soul to the system.

Nibbles
nibbles

Post by nibbles »

OneCD wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:39 am
nibbles wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:13 am Or a hellava heavy anchor for your boat :wink:
My 80286 Amstrad made a good boat anchor … so good, we left it down there. I’m sure it’s still rusting away, inhabited by crabs. :DD
Hehe... so true there...

Nibbles..
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I have been years involved with EMC Symmetrix and Clariions, which have been taken over by Dell.
For these devices spares are available up to 10years or even longer.
But compared to a QNAP NAS the price is multiple times higher.

I know also the support contract conditions from customers using such devices. The fee raises depending how old such a device is. In the first 3-5 years its moderate (depending to SLA). But then price increases for sucessing years.
And this is the same for other vendors.
Long story short: spares after years are possible, but costs for such is calculated in item price. So if QNAP will provide spares after years my guess is, that a NAS will double or triple the price.
And I do agree that current spare policy is a shame.

Regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I get the intent, and agree to some extent, but would you realistically expect to be able to order a part for your 10 year old plasma TV?

Im assuming that the model QNAP is question here has potentially gone past the posted EOL date. Getting parts out of most manufacturers at the best of times is often next to I possible. They sell "devices" (whole) and support them under warranty, rarely selling components to the consumer. Again, I think it almost a miracle that a $100-$500 device would be repairable even at the customers expense. They can't inventory parts forever, hense EOL of products.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
nibbles

Post by nibbles »

FSC830 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:59 am I have been years involved with EMC Symmetrix and Clariions, which have been taken over by Dell.
For these devices spares are available up to 10years or even longer.
But compared to a QNAP NAS the price is multiple times higher.

I know also the support contract conditions from customers using such devices. The fee raises depending how old such a device is. In the first 3-5 years its moderate (depending to SLA). But then price increases for sucessing years.
And this is the same for other vendors.
Long story short: spares after years are possible, but costs for such is calculated in item price. So if QNAP will provide spares after years my guess is, that a NAS will double or triple the price.
And I do agree that current spare policy is a shame.

Regards
Yep... To me as long as parts are deemed a reasonable request... I understand there's limits and sometimes there's justifications on certain things that require servicing and should only be done by the vendor, but, in the case for an LCD panel, or even the LED panel on a NAS for example, should not be so special for something like this to be an available replacement part... led on occasion can go bad and so same goes with an LCD panel...

Nibbles
nibbles

Post by nibbles »

dosborne wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:51 am I get the intent, and agree to some extent, but would you realistically expect to be able to order a part for your 10 year old plasma TV?

Im assuming that the model QNAP is question here has potentially gone past the posted EOL date. Getting parts out of most manufacturers at the best of times is often next to I possible. They sell "devices" (whole) and support them under warranty, rarely selling components to the consumer. Again, I think it almost a miracle that a $100-$500 device would be repairable even at the customers expense. They can't inventory parts forever, hense EOL of products.
I hear what you're saying but at the same time, everything to be considered is obviously with some reasonable expectations. My reference to Dell as an example imho are somewhat the exception as I know part replacements are broadly available which leads to my point that as long as EOL product is within a reasonable timeline and based on reasonable criteria's. Most notably for higher end models as some of them can get rather pricey (5-10K) and this aligns just as well for example to a base Dell PowerEdge server starting Priceline point. I'm merely referencing them and don't deem as the official baseline by any stretch of the imagination. It simply goes without saying, if someone invest that kind of money into something, they obviously expect some reasonable timeline of usage. Even QNAP higher end product line can easily be used over the course of 10yrs if someone makes proper use of them. Still nor would I expect any vendor to consider lower end stuff and this would hold true for any other vendor out there... I mean, the effort and cost associated to replacement parts for something such as a 2 bay nas really wouldn't make any practical sense in doing so. Am I'm sure any consumer would easily agree on that as well.

Nibbles.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”