WD Red Pro 20TB and TVS-672XT -- Any success?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
vroom
New here

WD Red Pro 20TB and TVS-672XT -- Any success?

Post by vroom »

Has anyone been able to get WD Red Pro 20TB drives working in their QNAP?

I recently purchased 6 x WD Red Pro 20TB drives on sale (WD201KFGX) to replace the existing WD 12TB drives in my TVS-672XT. When I tried to "Replace disks one by one," the first two bays swapped and rebuilt just fine. But I started getting issues with bay 3. After several messages with QNAP support, they found no issues with my NAS and said the issues were likely because the WD201KFGX is not on the QNAP compatibility list, and that I should try with different HDDs.

So now I'm stuck with 6 x WD Red Pro 20TB drives that I can't use. I submitted a request for QNAP to work on compatibility, but who knows if that will go anywhere. Has anyone been able to get these HDDs working in their QNAP NAS?
P3R
Guru

Re: WD Red Pro 20TB and TVS-672XT -- Any success?

Post by P3R »

That sound like a bad excuse from support. The drives in question are listed as compatible with multiple Qnap models including the extremely closely related TVS-672X (as far as I know they use the same motherboard). Remove the Thunderbolt card and you more or less have a TVS-672X...

I would try to raise the question with a Qnap manager or else just wait for a while. It would be very surprising if they didn't include the popular TVS-X72XT models in the testing and then you will have a great comeback position.

There are several reviews mentioning having received DOA drives in the WD site though so I would make sure they all work okay.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
vroom
New here

Post by vroom »

UPDATE:

The 4 x WD Red Pro 20TB drives that were giving me issues turned out to be DOA. After returning them to WD and buying another 4, they installed and the RAID rebuilt just fine. So I can confirm the WD Red Pro 20TB drives work in the TVS-672XT (as long as they aren't DOA).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

4 DOA drives .. oof .. unlucky

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”