QNAP 451+ : cannot access after update

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
laurentw
Starting out

Re: QNAP 451+ : cannot access after update

Post by laurentw »

QNAP asked me to reinstall the update through Qfinder (file upload) and they asked me to use the following commands with Putty:
storage_util --sys_startup
storage_util --sys_startup_p2

umount /dev/md13 ## test lun firmware
e2fsck -f /dev/md13
mount /dev/md13 /mnt/ext

cp /etc/default_config/uLinux.conf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/
rm -r /etc/config
ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config /etc/config
setcfg -f /etc/config/uLinux.conf Misc configured TRUE
ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update /mnt/update

With this, I have managed to access my NAS

and then to recover my disks:
/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh

I'm still struggling with one of my disk because the NAS keeps on telling me that no space is available while the disk is almost empty, the disk remains in read only mode.
CuBit
New here

Post by CuBit »

Thank you for that! The reinstall steps are interesting.
I may be making some headway. (I hopefully won't need to reinstall the update at this point. I had to make similar changes a year ago after problems moving to Raid5.)

I am glad you are in and hope you can get the disk problem resolved. My disks seem okay (4x8TB WD Red Raid 5).

On my last reboot it seemed to take longer than normal with a lot of disk activity but thankfully for me it did allow me to connect. I originally could not even connect through Qfinder and had to use a new Win11 computer connected directly using the test set up with the manual IP provided. I could not connect through Putty as I had only been turning on SSH when needed. Qmanager from the I-phone did not initially work, however I just tried it after a few hours and it has now connected.

I am not out of the woods yet. My main Win10 office computer will still not connect.
Thanks again.
CuBit
New here

Post by CuBit »

Well it seems that I have resolved my issues. Some were self inflicted.

After your post I read about the “3 second reset button press” and saw that it reset network settings among other things and then I read a QNAP article indicating that internal network conflicts could lead to these problems. I did not want to reset and had gained access. I noticed a virtual switch related to an older Docker container that I had setup for a Smarthome application. This was an LXC container and I had seen the warning about LXC containers no longer being supported. I had stopped that container awhile ago, but never deleted it. To my surprise I discovered it was running. So I deleted that container, deleted that virtual network switch, and stopped other containers.

In the end I addressed three issues:
a) Network conflict with idle unused virtual switch – I probably should have noticed and addressed this earlier.
b) General Settings - Default System Port for Web Access – Had been changed from 8080. Not an issue, I just don’t remember doing it. Using the new port is now working. (e.g local IP:new port).
c) General Settings - Enable Secure Connection – this had been unchecked; I do not know how that changed.

I then stopped and restarted DLNA. Checked my Smart TV and it connected, although still a little slow compared to other DLNA servers. I now have to review all my security and firewall settings because I was playing with these as part of my troubleshooting.

So for me, initially connecting with the test setup and using Qfinder to get me in, allowed me to resolve the issues...and took about four hours.
laurentw
Starting out

Post by laurentw »

Hi all,

Quick update...
I took me some time to copy all my files to another disk but I finally managed to do it a couple of days ago. I then formatted both disks, re-inserted them, did the setup from scratch and guess what...same issue! I have formatted the disks with Windows and scanned for bad sectors but both disks were clean.

There was only one last thing to do...downgrade. I downgraded my NAS to 4.5.4 and it worked! My disks are recognized, they appear in the list, I have no warnings regarding their health, they are not write protected anymore. I have litterally spent hours trying to fix this while I could have prevented all this by not updating the firmware. Now I'm waiting for additional info from QNAP support, they have been very useful to dig into the issue but I'd like to understand what went wrong because sooner or later I will probably have to update the firmware.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”