Trying to understand the purpose of QNAP QM2-2P-244A on TS-453D

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
hinky
Starting out

Trying to understand the purpose of QNAP QM2-2P-244A on TS-453D

Post by hinky »

I just bought the TS-453D and was excited to get to use it - until I realized that the ability to add any type of caching requires spending literally at least a third of what the entire NAS costs (usually more) just to accept a drive or two - and those are additional costs. ($125-150.) The caching is apparently important for some of the uses I anticipate. I don't understand why anyone would spend so much money on these cards rather than applying those funds to get a higher end NAS that has something already built in to use. What was the purpose of putting in a PCI slot instead of something just ready for some type of caching at this price point?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Trying to understand the purpose of QNAP QM2-2P-244A on TS-453D

Post by dolbyman »

Just because you can..doesnt mean you should...

Just imagine the bloody murder people would scream if QNAP didnt enable caching for these little celeron units.... what exactly are you planning where cache would help (vs. an SSD storage volume)
hinky
Starting out

Post by hinky »

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to add on exactly like other comparable units - an NVMe M.2 or an SSD. Either one would do and provides speed for apps and cached/stored files which handle directory management, etc. Instead it's a very expensive PCI card interface that adds another layer between storage and a major expense that does nothing but provide a very expensive bridge.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Unless you are using high random IO environments like databases..caching has little to no effect..Id save the money
hinky
Starting out

Post by hinky »

Thanks - your input is much appreciated. I read that using apps, e.g. QuMagie, that run and store information for databases, the response time could be much higher. For me it's more of a casual view (archiving) and replacing Google Photos for a very large volume, occasional searches. I thought that using the SSD to store it (and thumbnail generation, etc.) on the SSD or NVMe would provide a substantial performance inrease - but perhaps not so much.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have never used any of these apps, make sure that "replacing google Photos" does not include making the NAS reachable from WAN, otherwise you sooner or later may find yourself in one of the ransomware threads
hinky
Starting out

Post by hinky »

Looking further on the subject, others were putting the NAS OS on the SSD/NVMe and said that the system and response was much faster. I've upgraded the NAS to 16GB, to give as much working RAM as possible. This would have been nice to do but for the cost.

As to the tip, thank you. This is not to be accessible via the WAN, merely a backup for Google Photos to use on the local network at the home office. I've read about the challenges, which was not encouraging. I'll make sure it's not accessible. I'll also have to look into whether using the QNAP interface is also a problem, which I think it is.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The NAS OS is always on all drives but the default location for installed apps in on the first system Volume.

If the default system volume is on SSD's it can speed up certain tasks during IO heavy operations up, also databases that are on this default volume would be sped up (e.g. Plex metadata, or maybe even Qmagie db)

a recent discussion
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=168610&p=833038

hinky wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:23 am I'll also have to look into whether using the QNAP interface is also a problem, which I think it is.
Not sure I grasp what you are saying, how is the QNAP interface a problem, in what context?
hinky
Starting out

Post by hinky »

You answered it all, thanks - and the thread was relevant and useful!

My apologies for being vague regarding "the interface" - the default apps, control panel, general IO and response, etc. Apparently it may not make tha much of a difference - although I'm assuming that the speed up would be concerning the photo and video metadata in QuMagie - the EXIF information for each photo, etc. Perhaps once it's all downloaded (such as is the case with a huge Plex library), the returns are lower since most of the writing is done. Again, much appreciated.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qm2-2p- ... s/hardware

this qm2 addon just give u slots to add additional m.2 nvme ssds.

some qnap models only support m.2 sata. so this card gives u the opportunity to add m.2 nvmes. or if u just wanted more additional slots to add more of them.

as for why u use m.2 nvme ssd in your nas, well the marketing points to ssd caching. i don't use it. but i do use ssds for the vms like on container station and virtual station.

then there are other addon cards, that may add nic ports. like i bought one that added a 2.5gbe port becauz originally the model only did 1gbe, but i need 2.5gbe to support my new multi gig network setup.

then there is addon that combins both a port and additional ssd slots.

so basically what those addon cards to and the variations of those cards. Not all qnap models support addons, and possibly all variations/models of those addons, so you have to check the compatibility page for your nas model.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”