QTS notifications "hot-removed" external device

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cs7404
Know my way around

QTS notifications "hot-removed" external device

Post by cs7404 »

I have an external OWC Mercury Elite Pro dual enclosure that has 2 hdd's in it, setup in independent mode (each disk appears as a volume).

i've noticed, with the latest QTS release (5.0.1.2173), as well as the previous one - that in the notice board i see multiple notifications whenever I turn the enclosure ON. I have it plugged into a USB port on the back of my TS453D and only turn it on ahead of a scheduled HBS3 job (i use it to backup my NAS).

I haver multiple "Detected external device ..." notifications for each of the volume labels, as well as one "Hot-removed ..." notification for each volume label as well. These notifications are time stamped corresponding to when I turned the external enclosure on, so they are not leftovers from a previous day where I turned on the unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this ? I'm trying to determine if this is causing an issue on the drives in the external enclosure, or if it's the raid controller in the external enclosure that's the problem.

in the past I've not seen this, and other USB devices I plug in such as a flash drive (to the front of the NAS), do not put out "Hot-removed ..." notifications when I plug them in they are mounted fine.

Maybe it's the OWC controller, or if not something else is causing it .... hope i can figure this out soon so i don't unintentionally damage the drives in the enclosure.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Re: QTS notifications "hot-removed" external device

Post by cs7404 »

wondering if this is an issue related to my external enclosure, or if it might be a bug in QTS 5.0.1.2173 ? i see another firmware update just landed for my TS453D ... if it was a bug it might have been addressed in this new fw version ...
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

QTS 5.0.1 has some issues with external USB devices. Please refer to release notes.

Regards
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

that does not inspire much confidence ...

earlier today i started seeing more weird behaviors, such as the volumes showing 0MB in size in QTS, and some errors when trying to unmount them from QTS. before that i ran an e2fsck on both volumes via ssh, all 5 passes had completed

i updated to the latest QTS a moment ago .2194. let's see how this ends up
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

circling back to this ... really not comfortable with how the NAS is handling external storage I depend on for backups. i have the latest QTS installed and QNAP still hasn't addressed the issue. i am worried the mount/hot-remove/mount behavior I'm seeing will damage the file system on the external disks ...
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Have you opened a ticket?

Qnap Support does not come here..so without a ticket, they would never know
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

was asking here to get some feedback from others who experience the same issue ... i will generate a ticket w QNAP ... i'd think they are aware of this kind of issue but will do it anyway
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

one of my HBS3 jobs failed ... when i turned on my external enclosure, the NAS did the mount/hot-removed dance again with my external drives, and one of them was not mounted when the HBS3 job started. i opened a ticket with QNAP to get feedback based on my NAS logs.

the NAS is also not recognizing another USB device (a flash drive) which it normally shows as mounted. it dropped out suddenly today as I tried to unmount/remount external devices and it will not reconnect. i've also rebooted the NAS and it does not mount automatically.

still wondering why this type of issue is present in the past 2 or 3 released of QTS 5 .... at least those are the released with which I've experienced this problem.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

QNAP support says:
Hello *****,

Thanks for the information. Based on the compatibility page for your TS-453D, this device has not been tested to be compatible, so the support we can offer is limited. Your Sandisk Ultrafit is listed as compatible, and if you continue to experience issues with it we may continue an investigation with that device. I'm not surprised however that you had to re-plug in the device to detect it after a reboot.

Do let me know,
this answer is odd. they are for (1): acknowledging that a supported device will not auto mount when it is inserted and the NAS is booted up. on the other end, they are telling me my enclosure was not tested and they can't confirm compatibility.

the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual I have always mounts both volumes when i plug it into my linux OS. when i unmount the volumes in linux, i can hear the drives spin down/park. i need to try to unmount the volumes when they connected to the NAS while in front of the unit, to check and see if they indeed spin down. i suspect they might not be, because when i pull the USB cable from the enclosure (while still powered on), both disks spin down.

it's possible that QTS could not be handling my external volumes correctly and that could lead to corruption of the fs for those volumes.

in the meantime, i have decided to leave the enclosure on full time when it is connected. the LED's are quite bright in a dark room, but that's not something that bothers me as much as this issue.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

qnap says they will request compatibility tests for my enclosure. hopefully they will find any bug that’s causing this issue. the enclosure manufacturer (OWC) is not aware of any issues with the unit’s raid controller. the controller is pretty much universal/standard hardware-based (it is not softraid).
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

i don't want to endorse the latest fw (5.0.1.2248) yet by saying this, it appears as though my external enclosure mounted correctly upon powering it up. in Notification center the messages that generated after turning it on were correct (no 'hot-removed' messages).

i did not see anything in the changelog for this fw mentioning that this issue was resolved. did I miss it maybe ?
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”