QTS 5.0.1 and Nvidia Hardware Transcoding broken

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
windexh8er
New here

Re: QTS 5.0.1 and Nvidia Hardware Transcoding broken

Post by windexh8er »

So I did remove the card and manually uninstalled the Kernel and Driver package from CLI. I cannot get the system to install the updated Kernel driver on 5.0.1.2194. I've gone back to 5.0.1.2173 and 5.0.1.2145 - both of them install the NVIDIA packages just fine. Everything appears to be working correctly from the system's perspective - but Plex doesn't use the card for transcode. This is frustrating as everything had been working, but now even downgrading doesn't seem to fix it. Is there anything else to check / clear out of the system to get QTS mode transcoding working again?

Edit:
Running 5.0.1.2145 and rolled back the NVIDIA GPU Driver to 5.0.4.1 as others have stated. Everything works again now. Seems to be an issue with the latest firmware AND the driver. Those of you who have gotten it to work with the latest and greatest I'm curious if you have stats showing up in the Expansion Cards view?
qnap-02-nvidia.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whoisnader
Know my way around

Post by whoisnader »

Have you tried switch to container and then back again?
hulk66
New here

Post by hulk66 »

Had the same issue. Was in contact with support for the whole week. Unfortunately, they are rather helpless. Thanks to the experiences here I downgraded to 5.0.1.2173 and all worked again.

Thank you very much (but once more I really regret to have invested in a QNAP system)
chewer.kindle23
First post

Post by chewer.kindle23 »

I tried switching to Container Station Mode and back to QTS Mode as whoisnader suggested, but I don't know if that helped. What I have found that helps is simply restarting Plex. After restarting Plex, hardware transcoding started working. But I wondered what would happen after a reboot, and sure enough, hardware transcoding stopped working. I again restarted Plex after the reboot and hardware transcoding worked again. I'm suspicious that the startup sequence is starting Plex before the drivers are done loading, thus why restarting Plex after all services have finished starting fixes the issue.

TS-673A
Firmware: QTS 5.0.1.2248
NvKernelDriver: 5.0.1.2248
Nvidia GPU Driver: 5.1.0.0822
nolanlao
Starting out

Post by nolanlao »

QTS 5.0.1.2277 doesn't work for transcoding after upgrade, it all show 0 on GPU status. GPU driver 5.1.0.0822 doesn't work.
QTS 5.0.1.2269 is OK to upgrade.
colliff
First post

Post by colliff »

I am having trouble trying to re-instate Hardware Transcoding on a TVS-1282 with a NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 installed. I had by mistake trusted QNAP and installed the latest QTS 5.0.1.2277. This was a huge mistake as it completely shutdown hardware transcoding. I then found this forum and went through the process of downgrading the QTS to 5.0.1.2248 and uninstalled and reinstalled the NVidia GPU Driver (5.0.1.0822) and NVKernel Driver (5.0.1.2248). I have switched the hardware QTS -> Container Station -> QTS and rebooted several times. I have also stopped the Plex and Restarted. I have Plex (1.31.2.6739) installed with lifetime pass and have it configured to use hardware acceleration where it can. In the past no issues, but now it will not do any hardware transcoding. Plex will play the video with a stutter and I have to manually request it convert the video on the fly. Doing so loads the CPU to nearly 80% and the GPU never goes above 0%. Does anyone have a suggestion or procedure to try to get it working. The only other option I see is to try and go back further to QTS 5.0.0.2131? Thanks in advance.
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

colliff wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:53 am I am having trouble trying to re-instate Hardware Transcoding on a TVS-1282 with a NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 installed. I had by mistake trusted QNAP
Just some thoughts:
Seems your card is not officially supported. https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... ategory=25
So you cannot really blame QNAP..
Also, your version of Plex is not from QNAP.
What i mean is that I think that QNAP will not be able of help.

-

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”