SSD in Qtier setup wearing down too quickly?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

SSD in Qtier setup wearing down too quickly?

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

Hi, I have setup a TS-364 with 3 x WD Red Plus 4 TB in RAID5 and 2 x Kingston KC3000 512GB (10% overprovisioning) in RAID1 with Qtier on QTS 5.0.1. System is running fine, but with monthly disk health checking habit I found out that estimated remaining usage duration of the SSDs is heading towards failure after 32 months lifetime, barely 54% of warranty period. Qtier is moving about 400GB of data every night. Biggest user is Qsync Central. Disk temperature of SSDs is due to excellent cooling pads about 31 degree C.
Anyone having observed similar behaviour? Should I have setup 30% overprovisioning instead? Any recommendations?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: SSD in Qtier setup wearing down too quickly?

Post by dolbyman »

Well what is the NAS doing ? 400GB of data movement is pretty significant.

You can also disable the autotier for shares that do not need it (backup folders that are used for sequential tasks would just wear out your SSDs but provide no benefit)
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

That SSD has 400TBW specified... at 400GB of data per day, it should last about 3 years.
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

Sorry it is 400MB per night. And as I said the biggest user is Qsync Central (75% of daily activity). Qtier runs every night for 2 hours 15 minutes. All Qtier settings are defaults. There is no backup usage at all.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

400MB is basically nothing..either the QTier statistics are wrong or something else is going on

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”