NAS not working with Nest Wifi Pro

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
micax
New here

NAS not working with Nest Wifi Pro

Post by micax »

Been using my QNAP NAS for several years now without trouble - directly connected to the ISP Router.

I recently got a Nest Wifi Pro setup, and had to move the NAS. It's now connected to one of the Nest stations (not the primary one). However, I can no longer access the NAS.
- Google Home Wifi registers the NAS as being connected to the Mesh.
- QManager (app on the phone) finds the NAS, and I can log into it there.
- QFinder Pro can see the NAS. But I cannot SSH into it or do anything else with it.
- Trying to access the NAS through HTTP likewise fails.
- Network drives can of course also not connect.

The Mesh is set up as it should be and everything else works as it should - it's only the NAS that isn't working. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have run into this problem before - anyone with a good idea of what might have gone wrong (and how to resolve it).
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS not working with Nest Wifi Pro

Post by dolbyman »

There is quite a few posts that discuss problems with google wifi and QNAP NAS...nobody has ever fixed it (probably because no user ever knew how to troubleshoot locally)

So ditch the google wifi or learn how to troubleshoot it
micax
New here

Post by micax »

I'm not going to ditch an expensive Wifi Mesh system I just bought without a good cause. It would be probably be cheaper just to get a new NAS. And if it was easy to troubleshoot, I would already have done it. But not easy to do much when the only access to the system is an app.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Google WIFI seems to practice subnetting or client isolation..so even a new NAS would not help.

Check with a google wifi forum/reddit and see if you can dig deeper...it is outside of the scope here and has ..as mentioned..been tried several times before
micax
New here

Post by micax »

Nah, this seems like it was very much a QNAP issue.

Pursued this further with QNAP support, and we found a few interesting things. One was that the NAS - which, as I mentioned, I could actually access through the QManager app - could not be accessed through direct connection with the PC.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... ction-test

No ping either - despite it being visible in Qfinder. Clearly something had gone very wonky with the IP config on the NAS. They wondered whether it had been on static IP, but it has never been, and I've also never changed (or needed to change) the IP settings on the NAS. I wonder whether the move from ISP router -> Nest mesh triggered some automated configuration update that goes wonky.

In any case, I basically went on to factory reset the NAS (wiping the settings of the NAS, but not the data/hdds).
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained

That brought the NAS back to "life" on direct connect. I connected it back to the Nest Wifi Pro in the exact same configuration as before and so far it seems to be working exactly as it should. So it seems like the factory reset basically did the trick and cleared up whatever mess was causing the connection issues.

Hopefully these suggestions might help others who might run into similar issues and thanks to the QNAP support guys who gave excellent, actionable advice.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”