QXG-25G2SF-CX6 25GbE and Ubiquiti USW Pro Aggregation link problem

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

QXG-25G2SF-CX6 25GbE and Ubiquiti USW Pro Aggregation link problem

Post by BryceWilkins »

Hi community,

I want to report a problem with QNAP QXG-25G2SF-CX6 25GbE network card and Ubiquiti 10G/25G Pro Aggregation switch.

I installed the 25GbE network adapter to my QNAP TS-877 NAS in expansion slot 1 (PCIe Gen 3 x8); the network card is on the compatibilty list for that NAS. I used an SFP28 cable (link below) to connect to one of the 25GbE SFP28 ports on the switch.

On the first boot of the NAS after the card (and DAC cable) was installed I saw the network adaptor was detected correctly on the NAS and a 25GbE link was established to the switch -- an IP address was assigned and all seemed great, though I didn't test anything yet. The NAS indicated the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 firmware was out-of-date and prompted to perform a firmware update. I selected "OK" and the firmware update completed without error and upon request of the update procedure I rebooted the TS-877 for the new NIC firmware to take effect.

After reboot the 25GbE link is no longer established to the switch; no link at any speed is established. :(

I have power-cycled the NAS and switch, and tried reconnecting the DAC cable, but have not been able to get the link back. It seems the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 fimware update might have caused a problem.

When the NAS reported a newer QXG-25G2SF-CX6 firmware was available it did indicate the firmware version that would be installed, however I did not make a record of the version number. In the Notification Center Event Log I can see the Network related events shown in the attachment.

Adapter 5 and 6 are the two 25GbE ports of the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 NIC, and the card appears to be detected correctly and both ports active, however no link established (see attachment).

Is anyone else using QXG-25G2SF-CX6 expansion card with the latest firmware/drivers from QTS 5.0.1.2376? As described here there are several fixes for QXG-10G2SF, QXG-25G2SF and QXG-100G2SF card in QTS 5.0.1.2376, but perhaps that firmware broke something as well? Or, an incompatibility was introduced with Ubiquiti Pro Aggregation switch?

If anyone has experience with this NIC or suggestions of things to try please let me know! I'm curious is there is a CLI command to retrieve the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 firmware information, or even upgrade/downgrade the NIC firmware.

In the meantime I'm going to file a support ticket with QNAP and will report back how things go. (Update: ticked opened)

Other information:
QNAP NAS firmware: QTS 5.0.1.2376
SFP28 cable: Ubiquiti 25 Gbps Direct Attach Cable (UACC-DAC-SFP28-3M)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BryceWilkins on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: QXG-25G2SF-CX6 25GbE and Ubiquiti USW Pro Aggregation link problem

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Bryce -
I have no idea of why you purchased a 25G card for a 6 drive QNAP system - but hey - I need the practice. I have done tons of QNAP's with this 25G card and the Ubiquiti Enterprise XG24, but
not with the Pro Aggregation. So if you want some free help from me, just email me at
bobzelin@icloud.com
and I will contact you privately, and try to get this to work for you. Did you try this BEFORE you did the LACP LAG ? Were you able to get the single 25G port to work ?

I am more than happy to help you for free. I need the practice ! (And I love Ubiquiti products).

I assume that you have a Dream Machine Pro, or Dream Machine SE, or some way that I can get into the Pro Aggregation switch.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am Hi Bryce -
I have no idea of why you purchased a 25G card for a 6 drive QNAP system - but hey - I need the practice.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for reading and replying to my post!

Oh, yeah, I realize this NIC is overkill for TS-877. It was not my first choice. I tried to obtain a QXG-10G2SF-CX4 (10GbE SFP+ adapter) but couldn't find a retailer with any in stock -- that card seems generally no longer available to purchase. :/ Empty SFP28 ports on the Pro Aggregation switch presented an opportunity to try 25GbE infrastructure wise. I know TS-877 won't utilize the bandwidth; I thought it a good learning experience and I can migrate the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to a more appropriate QNAP system in the future.
Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am I have done tons of QNAP's with this 25G card and the Ubiquiti Enterprise XG24, but
not with the Pro Aggregation. So if you want some free help from me, just email me at <snip>
and I will contact you privately, and try to get this to work for you.
Oh sweet! Awesome to have an expert and someone with much more experience weigh-in, and glad to hear QXG-25G2SF-CX6 is known to work with other Ubiquiti gear. I'll reach out to you via email.
Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am Did you try this BEFORE you did the LACP LAG ? Were you able to get the single 25G port to work ?
I have not aggregated the two 25GbE ports of the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to the switch. I'm connecting one port of the NIC to the switch and the other port is disconnected.

Before the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 firmware updated a 25GbE link was established -- an IP address was allocated and UniFi OS showed the Pro Aggregation port as "UP" with a 25GbE connection (the port was purple color in the Pro Aggregation "Port Manager").
Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am I am more than happy to help you for free. I need the practice ! (And I love Ubiquiti products).
Thank you so much! I appreciate all the support I can get :) I enjoy the Ubiquiti ecosystem, too!

So far QNAP Support suggested I cold boot everything...that didn't help.
Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am I assume that you have a Dream Machine Pro, or Dream Machine SE, or some way that I can get into the Pro Aggregation switch.
I have a UXG Pro; it connects to the Pro Aggregation switch (10GbE link).
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Update:
- I tried removing the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to see if having the system load without the NIC driver might then magically make it work after reinstalling the QXG-25G2SF-CX6.
- The overall procedure was: shutdown TS-877, remove the QXG-25G2SF-CX6, boot the NAS, delete the unused 25GbE interfaces from "Network & Virtual Switch" app, shutdown TS-877, reinstall QXG-25G2SF-CX6, boot the NAS, connect SFP28 cable.

The above did not help (link still not established). I didn't have much hope that it would work but it's all I could think at the time.

Along the way I found the "Advanced Network Driver" QPKG that was installed automatically to update the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 firmware. It is installed in

Code: Select all

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/AdvancedNetDriver
and in one of the subdirectories a file `nic_fw_update.log.bak`

[GLOBAL]
bitmap = 0x1
0000:0f:00.0 = 0
reboot_count = 1
current_reboot_count = 1
update_percent = 100

[DEV_0]
pci = 0000:0f:00.0
interface = eth5,eth6
mfg = MLX
current_fw = 26.28.4000
new_fw = 26.30.1004
update_phase = 1
current_update_phase = 1
status = 1
which shows the original NIC firmware version `26.28.4000` and the updated firmware `26.30.1004`.

There are a several scripts in `AdvancedNetDriver` directory for starting/stopping the driver and performing firmware updates/checks.

I ran a script `./nic_fw_update.sh check_update` which dumps its output to `/dev/kmsg`:

12,1834,4703096745,-;check broadcom device
12,1835,4703110198,-;check mellanox device
12,1836,4703115905,-;checking MLX_DEVICE 0000:0f:00.0
12,1837,4703974922,-;update_fw_version=26.30.1004 current_fw_version=26.30.1004
While looking in `/dev/kmsg` I then noticed the event related to DAC cable being plugged in after the system had booted:

6,1823,686743723,-;mlx5_core 0000:0f:00.0: Port module event: module 0, Cable plugged
 SUBSYSTEM=pci
 DEVICE=+pci:0000:0f:00.0
6,1824,699920522,-;mlx5_core 0000:0f:00.0 eth4: Link up
 SUBSYSTEM=pci
6,1825,704219097,-;mlx5_core 0000:0f:00.0 eth4: Link down
 SUBSYSTEM=pci

Interesting! The cable being plugged in is detected, the link goes up but then comes down immediately. :/
Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am I have done tons of QNAP's with this 25G card and the Ubiquiti Enterprise XG24...
@Bob: I'm curious what version of QTS and the Advanced Network Driver you have on your system(s) with the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 card.

The current Advanced Network Driver (26.30.1004) is part of QTS 5.0.1.2376 build 20230421, or can be downloaded separately from QNAP NAS "Download" webpages under "Drivers" tab (e.g. see here for TS-877). The driver is only recently available (2023-04-24) so I wonder if you and other people who have this working are actually using the earlier version of the Advanced Network Driver (26.28.4000).
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
#1, you should let me log into your system. I have only done this with QuTS systems, and I use QuTS 5.0.1 2376 all the time. The Advanced Network Driver is just the Mellanox Connect 6 driver. You TS-877 should have QTS 5.0.1. And your problems may be on the Ubiquiti side, not on the QNAP side. There are too many variables here - you have to let me log into your system to see what is going on.
And you can't split the network on a Ubiquiti with some SFP28's as 10G, and some as 25G - it's all 10G or all 25G. That could be your problem right there.

You know how to contact me - I am happy to log in and see what is going on.
Bob Zelin
old mike
Starting out

Post by old mike »

Have you tried just forgetting the first successful connection IP assigned in Unifi to the NIC MAC?
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:35 am <snip>
You TS-877 should have QTS 5.0.1. And your problems may be on the Ubiquiti side, not on the QNAP side. There are too many variables here - you have to let me log into your system to see what is going on.
And you can't split the network on a Ubiquiti with some SFP28's as 10G, and some as 25G - it's all 10G or all 25G. That could be your problem right there.
<snip>
Yes; I have QTS 5.0.1.2376 on the TS-877 since beginning this process.

Also, on the Ubiquiti side, the Pro Aggregation switch had already been updated to the latest firmware (currently 6.5.32).

Yeah; I noticed the comment in the switch datasheet that the SFP28 ports can't be split between 10G and 25G:
The four SFP28 ports don't support mixed speed at 25 Gbps mode. Once one of the SFP28 ports is configured at 25 Gbps mode, the others will be limited at 25 Gbps too. The SFP28 ports only support mixed speed when all ports are at 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps.
I only have one of the four SFP28 ports connected so there shouldn't be anything preventing the link being 25G. What's odd is the link is not established at all.

old mike wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:56 am Have you tried just forgetting the first successful connection IP assigned in Unifi to the NIC MAC?
Hmm, good idea! In a prior UniFi OS version there was a way to view all clients that had previously connected (even if not currently connected). I had a look right now but I can't see where that option has moved to :/
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

RESOLVED!

Nota bene: The resolution below is a work around that just happened to get the 25G link up and running for me. The root cause of the problem is not known.

QNAP support reached out and suggested connecting QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to itself (i.e. a "loop" with DAC cable from one port to the other, and no connection to the switch from QXG-25G2SF-CX6. (One of TS-877's on-board GbE ports was connected to a switch so I still had access to it.)

When the "loop" was created the LEDs on the NIC card started blinking and QTS report the 25G link (to itself) was UP!

Then I unplugged the cable from one port of the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 and back into the Pro Aggregation switch (same port as I had used previously) and magically the link also came UP (at 25G)!

Kind of bizarre how this made it work as I had done a bunch of unplugging and replugging of the DAC cable already with no change. Somehow looping the card back to itself cleared a bad state or allowed the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to initialize properly in some way (perhaps the Forward Error Correction (FEC), which I can't find an option to specify on the Ubiquiti side) such that it was in a good state when connected back to the Ubiquiti switch.

I just Googled "Ubiquiti switch FEC" and hit a couple of relevant threads where people have experienced issues related to FEC on the SFP28 ports of Ubiquiti switches:
1) Debugging SFP28 DAC connection between CCR2004 and Ubiquiti switch (particularly post 10 onwards)
2) [Feature Request] Ability to adjust FEC settings on SFP28 ports (Holy smokes -- last post by Bob 20 days ago seems to be right on this issue with QNAP NIC cards! Bob Zelin's the man!)

I've seen

Select the same FEC mode on both devices to avoid possible network issues caused by FEC mode incompatibility
written in a few places now however I'm not seeing any information on FEC support on the Ubiquiti Pro Aggregation switch datasheet, and no obvious options in UniFi OS to configure FEC. Clearly there's some weakness in this aspect which needs more attention on Ubiquiti side.

Big shout out to Bob for jumping in and willing to connect and help troubleshoot (and many pointers via personal email that helped me check-off things were configured correctly)! Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by BryceWilkins on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
old mike
Starting out

Post by old mike »

Good to hear you solved it.

For the record, in the new Unifi GUI you can forget devices on the client page, you can set what time period client records are shown in the filters menu from between 24 hours to all time, left click and settings/manage will show the forget option.

I still find myself frequently switching between the old and new GUI trying to find, even basic options.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Bryce -
glad you got it working, but I am not the man ! because I would never have even thought of suggesting to loop the two SFP28 ports together . I still don't technically understand how looping these ports on the QNAP would have "cleared" the card from a bad state.

As for FEC - I learned this the hard way. I try to do as many 25G installs as possible. I had a client with multiple 24 bay QNAP's with 25G connections, and got the new Sonnet Solo 25G thunderbolt 3 to 25G adapters in for testing. I had previously installed Ubiquiti switches for the client (which work great) - but had them purchase the QNAP QSW-M5216-1T. To my dismay, when you cross connect the UI Enterprise XG24 SFP28 port to the
QNAP 25G switch, they both fail. After lots of suffering, I found out about FEC, and via the Ubiquiti community forums (like this one) - I learned how to TELNET into the Ubiquiti XG24 and turn off FEC. But of course, you can't save these settings, and when you power cycle the switch (or take a power hit), FEC gets re enabled. I have no idea of how to create a "cron job" on the Ubiquiti persistant after a reboot. And as you saw, if you saw the Ubiquiti forums, LOTS of people are angry about this. When I ranted to Sonnet engineering about this, they said "well - we use Arista networks switches, and we can disable FEC, and can save it". Well, I don't have $15,000 for a switch.

Anyway - glad for the feedback. And if you want a SFP+ 10G card that is "QNAP official" - just email me, and I will send you one (for the "price" I mentioned in my email).

Bob Zelin
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

old mike wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:58 am Good to hear you solved it.

For the record, in the new Unifi GUI you can forget devices on the client page, you can set what time period client records are shown in the filters menu from between 24 hours to all time, left click and settings/manage will show the forget option.

I still find myself frequently switching between the old and new GUI trying to find, even basic options.
Ah, thanks for the tip on the UniFi GUI @old mike! I see it now -- I had to turn on the "Show All Devices" filter option and then the "Last seen" slider appears to adjust the time filtering. That is a handy feature. Hopefully it will stay where it is and we all get used to the new GUI now :)
Bob Zelin wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:50 am Hi Bryce -
glad you got it working, but I am not the man ! because I would never have even thought of suggesting to loop the two SFP28 ports together . I still don't technically understand how looping these ports on the QNAP would have "cleared" the card from a bad state.

As for FEC - I learned this the hard way. I try to do as many 25G installs as possible. I had a client with multiple 24 bay QNAP's with 25G connections, and got the new Sonnet Solo 25G thunderbolt 3 to 25G adapters in for testing. I had previously installed Ubiquiti switches for the client (which work great) - but had them purchase the QNAP QSW-M5216-1T. To my dismay, when you cross connect the UI Enterprise XG24 SFP28 port to the
QNAP 25G switch, they both fail. After lots of suffering, I found out about FEC, and via the Ubiquiti community forums (like this one) - I learned how to TELNET into the Ubiquiti XG24 and turn off FEC. But of course, you can't save these settings, and when you power cycle the switch (or take a power hit), FEC gets re enabled. I have no idea of how to create a "cron job" on the Ubiquiti persistant after a reboot. And as you saw, if you saw the Ubiquiti forums, LOTS of people are angry about this. When I ranted to Sonnet engineering about this, they said "well - we use Arista networks switches, and we can disable FEC, and can save it". Well, I don't have $15,000 for a switch.

Anyway - glad for the feedback. And if you want a SFP+ 10G card that is "QNAP official" - just email me, and I will send you one (for the "price" I mentioned in my email).

Bob Zelin
Hi @bob! Totally agree it's a mystery that the looping the 25G ports on the QNAP NIC cleared away or initialized whatever FEC or other issue existed between the NIC and the Ubiquiti switch. :mind blown: I will add a note on my RESOLVED post above that the "loop back" was a work around -- clearly it's not a real resolution. Many times with these issues and "fixes" we will never know exactly what went wrong.

Thanks for highlighting the Ubiquiti switches with SFP28 ports don't currently save the FEC settings/configuration following a power cycle, and that the troubles can pop up again and again. I'll keep a watch and see if the problem with the 25G link comes back...and if it does I'll do the "loop" again! I'll try to remember to update this thread with new findings. Yeah -- I did read in the Ubiquiti forums that folks working with SFP28 are having lots of frustrations with different vendor compatibility with 25G. Most of it seems to come down to the FEC configuration and no way to disable or specify the options, or make them persist after power cycling. Hopefully Ubiquiti will be pushing out changes to address the shortcomings in the near future. I'm going to keep a watch on it!

About the 10G SFP+ card -- I'll ping your email! :D
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Update on status following a power outage:

I experienced a power outage twice in the past week; both the QNAP NAS and networking equipment completely lost power. Upon powering everything back up the 25GbE link from QNAP QXG-25G2SF-CX6 to the Ubiquiti Pro Aggregation switch did NOT come up. As was mentioned in previous post this was likely to happen.

To get it working I did the same as before: turn off NAS, using the DAC cable loop the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 ports together, wait for NAS to boot, services to start, and LEDs blinking on the QXG-25G2SF-CX6 card, unplug one end of DAC cable and plug it back into the Ubiquiti Pro Aggregation switch -- the 25GbE link comes up.

I will check this issue again when QTS 5.1.0 is released as it contains a new "Advanced Network Driver". Also, fingers crossed that Ubituiti will add some configuration for the 25GbE FEC settings.
qrusher
Know my way around

Post by qrusher »

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 395C3.html

Auto-negotiation
between different brand switches often getting trouble
manual fec mode sometimes is the solution
(both end of link)

https://www.qnap.com/en-me/how-to/faq/a ... -4x-switch
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
what kills me here is
1) the ability to turn ON FEC on the QNAP QSW-M5216-1T does not exist.
and
2) - the QSW-M7308R-4X is simply not available yet (not to my knowledge) - I have no idea of where Serve the Home got one from !!!

and for the record - I went thru every Mikrotik manual on their SFP28 switch, and NO WHERE does it even mention FEC - so without ordering one, I have no idea if you can enable/disable FEC on a Mikrotik switch. Why the big deal ? Because in the REAL WORLD - most people need multiple copper 10Gbase-T connections (at least in my business) - and Ubiquiti has an unbeatable product - a 24 port 10Gbase-T switch with two SFP28 ports for $1299. But it has FEC enabled, and if you need more than 2 SFP28 ports (which I do, since I have clients with multiple 25G products as well as 10G products) - I need to cross connect a Ubiquti XG24 to a larger SFP28 switch. I am very anxious to see the price of the QSW-M7308R-4X.

Bob Zelin
qrusher
Know my way around

Post by qrusher »

QSW-M5216-1T
QNAP QXG-25G2SF-CX6
Compatibility and the configuration of NIC cards when using with QSW-M5216-1T Connected with QNAP CAB-DAC15M-Q28B4 Need to have some setting on the network card * FEC Mode = No FEC, * Speed & Duplex = 25Gbps Full Duplex Using default setting to connect with QNAP TRX-25GSFP28-SR, CAB-DAC15M-SFP28 and CAB-DAC30M-SFP28
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... nsion_card
QSW-M5216-1T
QNAP CAB-DAC15M-SFP28
Compatibility and the configuration of NIC cards when using with QSW-M5216-1T Using default setting - Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 Dual-Port 25GbE - HP Ethernet 10/25G 2-port 640SFP28 Adapter - Mellanox CX4121A CX4 25G - Mellanox ConnectX-5 EN Dual Port 25 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Card - Dell Mellanox ConnectX-5 CX512F Dual Port 25Gb SFP28 Low Profile (V5DG9) - QNAP QXG-25G2SF-CX6 - QNAP QXG-25G2SF-CX4 Need to have some setting on the network card * FEC Mode = No FEC, * Speed & Duplux = 25Gbps Full Duplex - HP Ethernet 10/25G 2-Port 631SFP28 Adapter (BCM57414)

Bob Zelin wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:29 am Hi -
what kills me here is
1) the ability to turn ON FEC on the QNAP QSW-M5216-1T does not exist.
and
2)
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ged-switch
Last edited by qrusher on Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”