USB Sata 2.5 Enclosure

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
crookesa
New here

USB Sata 2.5 Enclosure

Post by crookesa »

I have a few old 2.5 SATA HDD in enclosures and am trying to back some or all of the contents to my TS464. The File Station seems to hang while copying them and I’m wondering if I could get a new enclosure USB 3.2 gen 2 would it help with the transfers. Some of the data could be 250gb.

Looking for the best way to transfer the data from these drives

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: USB Sata 2.5 Enclosure

Post by dolbyman »

Unless the USB enclosures/docks are not compatible with 250GB drives (that would be pretty old hardware), there shouldn't be an issue.

Did you test these at a PC for transfer to the NAS?

Also make sure you have backups ... age old story that people try to consolidate their disks on a NAS and are completely devastated when they find out that the NAS itself is NOT a backup (only a backup is a backup)
crookesa
New here

Post by crookesa »

When you say transfer at a pc, plug it into a pc and copy it from there over the network to the NAS? If so, no.

It’s a 500gb disk I just want to copy off approx 250gb of data. It hung at around 13% and then wouldn’t move on. I had to eject the disk and start again. Not ire what was copied as gave no way to compare so I just copied again and overwrote if duplicates.

It was showing close to 100 days to complete. I thought with a newer enclosure I might get faster transfer rates with the usb 3.2 ports just not sure what enclosure to look for.

I have RAID enabled as a backup, is that not good enough?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No, a RAID is not a backup (that is the fatal mistake soooo many people make)
https://www.raidisnotabackup.com/

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”