RJ45 10Gbps Electrical SFP+ with QNA-T310G1S

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
benyap002
First post

RJ45 10Gbps Electrical SFP+ with QNA-T310G1S

Post by benyap002 »

Hi,

New user here. I've been trying to use my QNA-T310G1S Thunderbolt to SFP+ 10 Gbps adapter with electrical/copper RJ45 SFP+. The other end is connected to a fibre broadband or 5G mobile CPE with a 10 Gbps RJ45 port. I'm facing the issue of the connection working for a very short while before it stops working. When the connection is first made, my laptop connected to the QNA adapter can get IP address via DHCP properly. Activity lights shows everything OK as well. Windows internet connection test (msftconnecttest.com) and ping will also work. However, after a few seconds, ping will fail (request time out) even to the directly connected router and CPE and opening webpage (e.g. Youtube) will fail as well. Wireshark capture from the adapter shows that the adapter is sending ARP broadcast to look for the router/CPE (who is 192.168.1.1) with seemingly no replies received. I've tried updating firmware, driver, changing the jumbo frame size, etc. to no avail.

I logged a ticket with QNAP support and they concluded that it was a compatibility issue with my electrical SFP (https://www.fs.com/sg/products/66613.html) and asked me to use a SFP from their compatibility list instead. The problem is there are no electrical SFPs in the list. I recently bought another model from Hi Fiber (https://www.amazon.sg/Transceiver-Compa ... BFHNL?th=1) which gave me the same results.

My question would be:
Has anyone tried using electrical SFP+ with the QNA-T310G1S model (I know there's a built-in RJ45 model but chose the SPF one for flexibility of using both electrical and optical modules)? If yes, could you share your SFP+ model?

I've opened a ticket as well to request to send my unit in for RMA and pending reply. Since I've tried multiple routers and SFP, I would suspect it's the adapter itself.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Ben
a13antichrist
Know my way around

Re: RJ45 10Gbps Electrical SFP+ with QNA-T310G1S

Post by a13antichrist »

Note, SFP+ is not the right term for the transceiver. SFP+ is the box-hole socket.
A transceiver can have a range of capabilities building from the SFP+ socket. What you need is an RJ45 SFP+ transceiver.
On that note I can't help you sadly, I only use DAC cables, though I also have similar (though not short-lived) disconnection issues when using the 1S from my M1 Mac. No such problems with Windows however.
TVS-871 @ 58tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe,
R9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MbP M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
R3 2200G mini HTPC
Mikrotik switches & routers
OpenWRT & DD-WRT wifi

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”