TS-251 not detecting HD during initialization

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
darmok
New here

TS-251 not detecting HD during initialization

Post by darmok »

Hi guys,

New owner of a TS-251, but about to send it back. I've spent way too many hours trying to make it work, some of them my own doing (will add to another post for other people that might find it helpful), but ultimately this still doesnt work!

1.- Connected TS-251 and installed brand new WD 4TB Red - all LEDs green and looked ready to go
2.- Trying to initialize:
- Cloud installation failed as it couldn't find the device
- Login directly to the IP address said "Missing hard drive"
- QFinder worked (after much firewall tweaking) and updated firmware to version 4.1.1 November
3.- QFinder tried to initialize the device but it couldn't find my hard drive...
4.- Tried several things to get HDD to be recognized, no luck
- Switch bays (from 1 to 2) - green LED and recognized by BIOS and fdisk, but not by QFinder
- Installed HDD on enclosure and connected to Windows machine - HDD recognized, formatted it to GPT 4TB and tried again - nothing
- SSH into QNAP, found disk through fdisk, cleaned partitions with dd, rebooted and still QFinder cannot find a disk
- SSH into QNAP again and this time created partitions manually with fdisk, rebooted - nothing!
5.- Since I started thinking that it was a problem with WD 4TB Red, decided to tried with another disk.. found old 2.5" WD Black Caviar 320GB, installed, tried pretty much all the steps on 4 with that disk as well - no luck, QFinder keeps telling me there's no HDD detected when initializing the NAS....

What am I missing? I feel that I got a bad NAS, but I'm confused because the BIOS and fdisk detect both disks I've tested... also, everyone seem to be fine running WD Reds on their NAS, plus it shows in the compatibility list.

Any ideas? I would really prefer not to have to return this!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Don
Guru

Re: TS-251 not detecting HD during initialization

Post by Don »

Try this. Shut the unit down. Remove the hard drive. Power the unit up. Use qfinder to run the initialization. When prompted insert the hard drive. Continue with setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
darmok
New here

Post by darmok »

Don, thank you very much for your quick response. I've tried this again, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I rebooted without the drives, run Qfinder and initialization... then I immediately get a "Hard Drive Missing" message and an empty table where supposedly hard drives would be shown. I only have the options to "Detect again" or "Cancel"... "Continue" is disabled. I've pulled disks in and out a couple of times, nothing refreshes when I click "Detect again".

If I go to the IP address of the NAS, I get a similar message, indicating that it cannot detect a drive.

Very frustrating, not sure how is that the NAS doesnt seem the drives when both underlying Linux and BIOS do recognize them.

I would truly appreciate any suggestions on what to do next!

Thanks.
darmok
New here

Post by darmok »

Just one more quick update:

1.- Tried doing all of the above connecting ethernet cable straight to laptop - no change
2.- Tried pressing reset on the back for a few seconds (>10), didnt seem to do anything - didn't even reboot the system
3.- Disconnected USB dong for Logitech keyboard and rebooted, no change...

Do you guys think that this might be a bug introduced on latest firmware (november?)? Any idea how to install an older firmware to test?
darmok
New here

Post by darmok »

Ok, officially out of ideas - installed two other firmwares, 4.1.1 Oct build and 4.1.0 June build, and exactly the same issue - neither of the two disks are recognized, regardless of whether I boot with them or hot plug them...

Officially out of ideas other than to buy another one NAS to test the HDD or buy another HDD to test the NAS...

If you guys don't have another idea, I think this one is going back to the store...

Thanks
viktoria
First post

Post by viktoria »

Same problem NAS ts-219P, qfinder 4.0.0 hard drive WEWD30EFRX- 3 TB WD Red SATA 3.5" NAS Hard Drive
I tried 3 different hard drives, and one was working before! But i moved to new place and more than a year NAS stayed in the box.
I finally found time to set it up and it's not working, I ordered new hdd, same error :(
I wish I did it right away when I moved to new place, so I could return NAS too
vijaychn
First post

Post by vijaychn »

Did anybody figure this out? I am in a similar situation. I just bought a new TS-251. I had the same problem during installation. However after rebooting, both the drives were visible during setup. Then half way through the installation with RAID 1 setup, the device beeped RED and informed device could not be found. QFinder found it a while later. Now only 1 HDD is recognized. Worst yet the setup is in RAID 1 and it complains the HDD is not mounted. Somebody help?

FWIW, I updated the firmware to the latest. Still no luck
BostromNZ
Starting out

Post by BostromNZ »

I have the same problem with a TS-220 running 4.1.3 (20150408) and 2x WD 3Gb Red HDDs. The NAS had been running perfectly for 1+ year but I had to shut it down for a few days while I painted the house. Before starting it up again I removed the HDD bays to clean some dust out. After plugging it back in and turning it on I get a flashing green status light (every 0.5 sec) - tried leaving it overnight but didn't make a difference. QFinder finds the NAS but says that it needs to be initialised. I've tried turning it on without the HDDs plugged in and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I plug in a single HDD but QFinder keeps saying "Hard Drive Missing" and doesn't detect them if I plug them in after or turn it on with the HDDs plugged in already. I have tried resetting the NAS but that made no difference either. I refuse to believe that both drives have failed, it must be the NAS.. any help? Does anyone have a fix?
obi77
Starting out

Post by obi77 »

Hi, I had the same/similar problem. For me, it was the simple problem that the connector of the HDDs didn't plug in correctly in the housing. So they were physically not connected!Of course my HDD LED didn't light up.. maybe someone faces the same problem..
TS-251, 8GB RAM, QTS 5.x
rabbivj
New here

Post by rabbivj »

Im having the same problem. I just bought a ts251. The hard drive light lights up and i updated teh firmware to 4.2 and even in the linux shell it doesnt find the hard drive with fdisk. So it wont even initialise.
rage_zi
First post

Post by rage_zi »

For QNAP devices, launch Qfinder before turning on NAS. It will show up in the list with IP address. If you turn on NAS before launching Qfinder , it won’t be able to find it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

rage_zi wrote:If you turn on NAS before launching Qfinder , it won’t be able to find it.
Nope. This would immediately make Qfinder useless ie. for finding the NAS IP address, or to mount shared folders once the NAS is configured and running.

When a NAS dos come un on the NAS, it does send a broadcast packet to the direct connected broadcast domain (typically the LAN) - this makes the NAS visible in Qfinder.

In any case, there is also a [Refresh] button on Qfinder - which does trigger a broadcast packet querying all NAS on the directly conncted broadcast domain (typically the [W]LAN again).
scthkr
First post

Post by scthkr »

Has anyone had any luck with this working?
I have a new TS-451, and four of the 3TB WD Red with the same problem. I too have tried everything on this page.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

most people have absolutely no problem setting up the nas ...so it might be

1. nas defective
2. hdd(s) defective

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”