WD Red SMART load/Unload utility

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
P3R
Guru

Re: WD Red SMART load/Unload utility

Post by P3R »

Eusii wrote:Do you know there is also an ARM-based tool to increase the LCC?
Do you really want to increase the LCC? Most people want the opposite... :wink:

Are you sure you need this tool?

As far as I know only very few disks are really affected.

What's the raw value of S.M.A.R.T. Ids 9 (Power_On_Hours) and 193 (Load_Cycle_Count)?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Eusii
Starting out

Post by Eusii »

P3R wrote:
Eusii wrote:Do you know there is also an ARM-based tool to increase the LCC?
Do you really want to increase the LCC? Most people want the opposite... :wink:

Are you sure you need this tool?
Haha, yes you are right xD I want to increase the LCC timer from 8 to 300sec and the tool does it for me (on the official way via WD).

P3R wrote: As far as I know only very few disks are really affected.

What's the raw value of S.M.A.R.T. Ids 9 (Power_On_Hours) and 193 (Load_Cycle_Count)?
4 days ago I replaced my 3TB HDDs with 4TB HDDs. The 3TB HDDs had over 50.000 lcc, but I only used them for 2 years... I guess those were affected.

The new ones (4TB HDDs), which are working in the NAS for 4 days now (~92 hours, id9), are already on 150 lcc (id193) - i guess they are also affected :-/
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what type of drives are the new ones ?

Oh I See .. WD Red, but they should not have that issue anymore :S
Eusii
Starting out

Post by Eusii »

dolbyman wrote: Oh I See .. WD Red, but they should not have that issue anymore :S
I dont know, but 150 lcc in 90 hours seems they do :cry:

So, if there is no ARM binary, what do you mean, does this approach work:
- shut down nas
- remove all 4 drives
- put one drive after another into a external usb case
- use the wd utility on PC to change lcc timers
- place the 4 drives back into the nas (same order?)
- start nas
Will this work?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that should work, shutting down is a good idea, you do not want to desync them
Eusii
Starting out

Post by Eusii »

dolbyman wrote:that should work, shutting down is a good idea, you do not want to desync them
Jepp it worked fine, ty. "Sadly" the wd utility told me, that the "Drive update [is] not needed". So it SEEMS that the lcc timer is already on 300 instead of 8.

Because I recognize an increase of 50 per day, I am really not sure if it so. And if it is, why it is that high.

I also tried to check the current lcc timer via wdidle3 but it is a 16bit application which needs to be run under dos (or similar), which probably cannot mount the NAS HDD directly...

Whatever... I guess I can also live with 50/day => about 20.000lcc/year, because WD calculates with 600.000 lcc/lifetime, which means 30 years... In 30 years I got probably more space on a sd card, than on this 4x4 TB 3,5' HDDs :D
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Eusii wrote:Because I recognize an increase of 50 per day, I am really not sure if it so. And if it is, why it is that high.
Maybe you have disk spin down enabled with a too short time?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Eusii
Starting out

Post by Eusii »

P3R wrote:
Eusii wrote:Because I recognize an increase of 50 per day, I am really not sure if it so. And if it is, why it is that high.
Maybe you have disk spin down enabled with a too short time?
I thought the lcc time is the time that decides when the hdd should spin down and "go sleepy". Are there other timer that potentially needs some adjustments?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I think that every NAS-controlled disk spin down (Control Panel, System Settings, Hardware, Disk standby mode) will also increase the LCC counter. If that's set to any low number like 5-30 minutes and you have something accessing the NAS at a slightly longer interval, I would expect the LCC to rise continually.

Still, as you've already figured out yourself, 50, 100 or even higher LCCs a day isn't a huge problem. Had it been 500 or more a day, then it would approach the level were it would make sense to worry about.

Eitvydax
New here

Post by Eitvydax »

I have some concerns about WD red WD80EFZX drives and qnap units with or without multimedia services enabled/disabled.
1. our office qnap tvs-1271u-rp i3 8gb run time 3 days all 6 hdd's shows the same LCC: 13 (by the way i set that enable disk stand by mode: 30 min) (has minimal activity)
2. our office tvs-871 i5 8gb multimedia enabled (photo station, video station, plex running) running time 3 days but this time LCC: 201 (by the way i set that enable disk stand by mode: 30 min) (has minimal activity)
3. my own ts-453a multimedia enabled(...) runnig time 166hours and i got LCC: 511 (by the way i set that enable disk stand by mode: 30 min but ** i see if no one is using qnap it wont get disks to stand by (green led is on, hdd's leds on)) (has minimal activity) (vpn service is "on", but for now nobody used it)

is this normal and maybe some of us can share best practice solutions how to make LCC not grow so fast.

thanks
weisan
First post

Post by weisan »

szafna wrote:Hi,
TS469L using 4x 4TB WD RED WD40EFRX
Also notice high LCC count: 180k in 3 years.
Try to use wd5741x32/wd5741x64

I get:
[/share/Public] # /share/Public/wd5741x32 -d1
Segmentation fault

same error with wd5741x64 -d1. Not sure witch version should be used. uname shows x64.

Any suggestions?
I had the same issue and found your question through Google... Since I figured out the solution, I thought I should share it. Turns out the download from the wdc website link is probably corrupted. WD5741.exe for windows is fine, but downloading (the now no longer linked) wd5741x32 or wd5741x64 grabs files that don't work. Realised this when I found a mirror site, and decided to download the file from one of the non-WDC servers instead. Worked perfectly in ubuntu.
https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.ph ... _langue=en

That's the link I found through google, there are 3 download locations, the first is from wdc and the other two from this French mirror. Hope it helps you! Spent many many hours trying to figure it out.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”