How to use 2nd Ethernet port

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
plporter
Starting out

Re: How to use 2nd Ethernet port

Post by plporter »

pwilson wrote:
romu@asnieres wrote:Hi all,

I have a QNAP TS-251 plug to my network using 1st ethernet port.
Is it possible to connect a computer to the 2nd ethernet port of the NAS to access to the NAS and to internet ? I tried to connect my labtop. I can connect to the NAs but not to internet.

thanks for your help,

Romuald
If you want to get fancy, or if you have multiple NAS devices, you can operate a second network to connect some of your equipment together on a second network, so you can get Server-to-Server traffic onto it's own dedicated network, so that Server to Server traffic doesn't saturate your main LAN+Internet subnet:

(I created this graphic to help someone previously in this Forum with a similar question).
So I can not view the image you supplied.... :(

Can you post it again or somewhere else?

Thanks

Perry
NAS model: TVS-871
QST: 4.3.3 Build 20170703
Network: Adapter 1+2 (1GbE+1GbE) Connected 1 Gbps Balance-alb
Trunking:Adapter 3+4 (1GbE+1GbE) Connected 1 Gbps Balance-tlb
Eithernet 5, 6: 10 GbE Intel X520-SR2
Drive Configuration: RAID 10
Drive Manufacturer: WD Red
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pwilson died 2 years ago, he will not be supplying anything anymore
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

plporter wrote:Can you post it again or somewhere else?
http://i59.tinypic.com/14y4rwx.jpg
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dleduc
First post

Post by dleduc »

I have a second ethernet port question as well. I have my QNAP server setup so that one port gives me access to all of the files on the NAS. I have setup the second port to be on a different network with access to only one folder. The idea is that I can put files in this one folder that I want many people to access, but I don't want these people to use the internet or have any access to the rest of my network. On my router I can have a different IP address associated with my wireless network than I do my wired network. Does it seem likely that I can plug both ports into my one router and run my private network wired and my public network wireless? I think that this is wrong, but I can think of two alternatives which I'd like commentary on.
1-Put the second port into a different router. I think that this provides maximum isolation, but it requires a second router.
2-Use just the one port, but somehow setup access on the router so that only that one folder is accessible if I use a given SSID. I think that this will work and it only requires one router, but I'm not sure if it is fully isolated>

I'd appreciate commentary on all three alternatives that I have brought up as well as suggestions for something entirely different if it achieves the goal stated in sentence 4. Thanks for any and all help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Did you set the access rights by Microsoft Networking Host .. like in this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=103373

If so, not much to worry about, the NAS is not acting as a gateway so no "surfing" with that connection possible. Just make the router hand out DHCP assignments in the required network.

Mind you, many devices will refuse to connect to networks that do not provide internet connection though
larrylarry
Starting out

Post by larrylarry »

Does the 2nd ethernet port bring in more bandwidth to the QNAP enabling a local PC to get better steaming from the QNAP?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

larrylarry wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:59 am Does the 2nd ethernet port bring in more bandwidth to the QNAP enabling a local PC to get better steaming from the QNAP?
It depend on a lot of unknown details. Instead of posting in this ancient thread, create your own thread explaining what equipment you have, your usage and what doesn't work. If you have found something that you think is interesting (more than the topic) in here you can throw in a link to this thread.

Can a moderator please close this thread?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”