TS-469L Replacement USB DOM

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cursor
New here

TS-469L Replacement USB DOM

Post by cursor »

So, I bricked my TS-469L 512MB USB DOM. Not cool.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement? Will any USB DOM work? Think I would be OK using a standard USB flash drive with a motherboard header cable?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-469L Replacement USB DOM

Post by pwilson »

cursor wrote:So, I bricked my TS-469L 512MB USB DOM. Not cool.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement? Will any USB DOM work? Think I would be OK using a standard USB flash drive with a motherboard header cable?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Have you attempted a recovery by following the QNAP Guide: Firmware Recovery Guide for x86-based NAS?

You can probably use any manufacturers USB DoM, the challenge will be sourcing the image for the DoM, and actually writing it to the replacement DoM. You might want to try recovering the one you already own.

Otherwise submit a ticket to the QNAP Helpdesk. They can probably "sell" you a replacement DoM, with the QNAP TS-469L DoM image already pre-installed on it.

Can you see the partition table on the existing DoM?

Here is how it is laid out on my TS-470 Pro:

Code: Select all

parted $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0) print
Model:  USB DISK MODULE (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 516MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      16.4kB  2228kB  2212kB  primary   ext2
 2      2228kB  250MB   248MB   primary   ext2
 3      250MB   498MB   248MB   primary   ext2
 4      498MB   516MB   17.4MB  extended
 5      498MB   507MB   8503kB  logical   ext2
 6      507MB   516MB   8897kB  logical   ext2
Connect your DoM to a PC running Linux (even a Linux LiveCD) and see if you can see the partition table on it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
cursor
New here

Post by cursor »

Thanks for the quick reply Patrick. I will definitely submit a ticket with QNAP.
I can't get the DOM to show up in either the BIOS or under a bootable Linux rescue USB. I have tried in the QNAP, as well as in my desktop PC, connected to an internal USB header. No lights, no signs of life at all.
I have a backup of the DOM from before I started tinkering, so I'm safe there. Depending on what QNAP says, I might just try a standard flash drive.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cursor wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Patrick. I will definitely submit a ticket with QNAP.
I can't get the DOM to show up in either the BIOS or under a bootable Linux rescue USB. I have tried in the QNAP, as well as in my desktop PC, connected to an internal USB header. No lights, no signs of life at all.
I have a backup of the DOM from before I started tinkering, so I'm safe there. Depending on what QNAP says, I might just try a standard flash drive.
If you can't even see the partition table on it from a Linux machine, then yes, you definitely should work directly with QNAP for this issue. You claim to have a Backup of the original DoM prior to "tinkering". How did you make that image? Did you backup each partition individually, or did you simply create an image of the entire DoM to a single file?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

cursor wrote:So, I bricked my TS-469L 512MB USB DOM. Not cool.
How that? Not smart :ashamed: Can't write to it any more using the recovery procedure documented?
cursor wrote:Anyone know where I can find a replacement?
QNAP? Apacer? Check what is installed.
cursor wrote:Will any USB DOM work? Think I would be OK using a standard USB flash drive with a motherboard header cable?
Rule of thumb - most likely yes.
cursor
New here

Post by cursor »

I dumped the entire device (sde?) to image using DD. I then mounted the backup and compared the devices, can't remember which tool I used...

No recovery steps work at all, as the device isn't even recognized by the BIOS. Near as I can tell, it was zapped by either static, or I somehow managed to plug it in backwards when I plugged it into my desktop motherboard to restore the image I took. Either way, it's pooched...

I don't have the NAS with me to get the SN required to submit a ticket. I'll get one in when I'm home this evening.
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

Was there any progress with this ? I am having the same issue , My DOM flash module is damaged ( pads lifted /open circuit) , was being Ham fisted :ashamed:

My thread is hereviewtopic.php?f=182&t=126426&p=571532#p571532

I would be interested to see if QNAP can supply preflashed , or if we can flash our own , with a blank flash module

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”