RAM UPGRADE TS-251+

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jpirie
Starting out

Re: RAM UPGRADE TS-251+

Post by jpirie »

schumaku wrote:The advantage of more DRAM is when using many memory intensive processes so there will be much less swapping.

It's pretty much standard notebook memory - the brand does not matter, just the tech specs do. Of course, when going with Kingston, it's certainly not wrong.
Ha! I also think that memory is memory but, am having difficulties with an App on my QNAP TS-451+ and the RAM upgrade is being targeted as the cause? Even though I have reverted to the original RAM chip as a test and that did not help.
Here is what QNAP support say about their "special" RAM:
These modules are produced specifically for us, in small amounts (Compared to numbers companies like Kingston, Crucial or others produce to sell to PC manufacturer and end users). Also, companies like the ones I mention before change their chips and layout every ~3 months in order to keep their market share against new products and be compatible with new hardware, changing a chip involve change in memory location, address, etc. If we use this kind of memories, we will need to rewrite our code pretty often and that's impossible. The way CPU <-> Memory work together is really different in a NAS compared to a PC.
And:

QTS 4.3 is totally different from QTS 4.2, most of the code has been rewritten, and yes, personally I have seen more cases of applications that used to work fine even if using a 3rd party memory, but with QTS 4.3 it's a different story.

For me it will be too difficult to explain in detail everything that is going on 'under the hood' in the NAS, but regarding the NAS RAM, the modules we use have been developed exclusive for us. They look as any module available in the market, but internally there are some changes on the chips used and how instructions are handled. Our code is written to use these QNAP modules, and some applications use certain instructions that point to memory locations only available in a QNAP RAM.

Discuss? :) B.T.W. I have the Crucial 8Mb upgrade states as "Compatible" on the Crucial site

I'm having difficulties getting the new Notes Station Beta to import note files from the old verison of Notes Station and, because QNAP cannot reproduce these symptoms they are blaming hardware as the cause. At which point the customer is pretty much stuffed from a support point of view!

James
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well, typical support we don't want to care about ... There are no such RAM as they describe :ashamed:

Shutdown, install and run the cumbersome App with the QNAP original memory. Unless you hit some OOM situation, I'm 99.9999% convinced the issue will remain.
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

schumaku wrote:Well, typical support we don't want to care about ... There are no such RAM as they describe :ashamed:

Shutdown, install and run the cumbersome App with the QNAP original memory. Unless you hit some OOM situation, I'm 99.9999% convinced the issue will remain.
Indeed! That is exactly what I did and what happened :)

And the answer to that?
Unfortunate, sometimes just putting the RAM back doesn't fix the issue right away. In rare cases a NAS reinitialization is required.

However, as mention on a previous email, both QTS 4.3 and Notes Station 3 are in Beta, we are taking note of every customer report so when an official release is out those confirmed issues should be gone.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience, and I totally appreciate your feedback and reports.
The sad bit is, IF you don't follow their advice and change RAM, change HDD's (because they are not on the compatibility list) and then re-initialize the entire system or...in short, get back to Factory condition, then the help ceases. It's really not very much use at all. These units have to be able to operate in the real world with real people putting them through real activities otherwise...what's the point?
I find NOtes Station 3 almost useable compared to it's predecessor but not at this cost!

Still, I keep reminding myself that thisn is Beta software (QTS and Notes) so it's supposed to be buggy :)

Thanks for the reply.

James
fascik
Starting out

Post by fascik »

mad_dog97 wrote:I did that exact upgrade (using 2x8GB sticks for a total of 16GB) over the weekend. Working like a charm.
mad_dog97 - what model of RAM did You choose? I bought 1 stick 8 GB and replaced one of current 4 GB and TS-251+ with 12 GB (with 8 GB and 4 GB) won't boot up.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”