Pcie for SSD cache in tvs671?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
wkearney99
Know my way around

Re: Pcie for SSD cache in tvs671?

Post by wkearney99 »

Benna80 wrote:I had a reply directly from QNAP support:
So, since 671 is just my model (471) with 2 more disks, also 671 will not be supported.
The strange fact is that in 4.3.3 BETA, for my model one of the statement is: added support for QM2 board.

The other strange fact is that the difference between x71 and x71U is that U version already has the possibility to add m.2 ssd, so the question is: why qnap should create a pci board for adding m.2 ssd just for models that already has m.2 ports??
This is VERY unfortunate. I'd be interested in the card as there's no means for the 671 to use m2 cards. Why are the 471 and 671 not supported?
--Bill

TVS-671 G3250 (for now)
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

I don't know, it doesn't have any sense, but as stated by schumaku maybe this is just for testing purposes or for an initial rollout phase, let's wait a little bit to know exactly the decision taken by QNAP.
What is true is that a card that expand the NAS with M.2 SSD capability and that is compatible only with model that ALREADY have M.2 ports doesn't have any sense to me :)
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Benna80 wrote:I don't know, it doesn't have any sense, but as stated by schumaku maybe this is just for testing purposes or for an initial rollout phase, let's wait a little bit to know exactly the decision taken by QNAP.
What is true is that a card that expand the NAS with M.2 SSD capability and that is compatible only with model that ALREADY have M.2 ports doesn't have any sense to me :)
There can be several use cases for this product. A couple are:
  • Using the internal m.2's for caching and wanting a 2nd set for storage usage (QTier, VM storage, etc.)
  • Wanting PCIe interface m.2's instead of SATA interface that typically is on the system board
I doubt QNAP would spend the engineering time on the product if they didn't feel there was a market for it.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

This is the new reply i had from the support:

"according to the RD/PMs the difference reside in the motherboard components and architecture
Currently the supported models are the one i listed in the previous email.

*Note : since the QM2 Board is not yet release to public this list might be subject to change"
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

I just finished speaking with QNAP Italy and they said the TVS-471 will be compliant with the board and the card will be available starting from may.
We'll see in the next month

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Benna80 wrote:I just finished speaking with QNAP Italy and they said the TVS-471 will be compliant with the board and the card will be available starting from may.
While the code required might be in the QTS 4.3.x builds, too - it does not imply the TVS-x71 will be on the compatibility list immediately along with the QM2 card availability.
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

@ssuper2k So, you have successfully installed a PCIe SSD... can you run your VMs from the SSD without accessing the HDDs ?

Furthermore: Can QTS run off the SSD solely ? What about QPKG apps ?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by olluz on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVS-671 QTS 4.2 beta (2015/07/16)
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

While we wait a reply I think that the usage of the ssd storage is totally invisible to the user, this device is managed by the system in a way transparent to the user

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Benna80 wrote:While we wait a reply I think that the usage of the ssd storage is totally invisible to the user, this device is managed by the system in a way transparent to the user

Err, who told you that?

Up to you how you use it, SSD cache or volume, no?
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

I was thinking...
Inserting the PCIe SSD and installing QTS without any other HDDs inserted should actually do the trick. That way QTS would be running off the SSD.
Also, if the VM harddrive images would be run off the SSD that should not keep the other HDDs spinning...

Can somebody confirm that ?

Thanks
TVS-671 QTS 4.2 beta (2015/07/16)
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

I think you are misunderstanding the possibility to add an SSD to the system, i'm just reading the QNAP documentation.

For what is my comprehension you can use an SSD in 2 ways:
- SSD Cache
- QTier technology

SSD Cache has an option inside the storage manager to enable it. In this way the system uses the SSD as a repository where to store the most often used data. Thus, you cannot decide to store particular application on the SSD for example Virtual Machines, the system will manage all of the dirty job.
SSD Qtier can be activated during the creation of a Storage Pool, so also in this case you can't decide what to put in the SSD because is the system that uses the fastes drive automatically.

This is what i understand reading QNAP documentation, if you have different information, please share
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Benna80 wrote:I think you are misunderstanding the possibility to add an SSD to the system, i'm just reading the QNAP documentation.

For what is my comprehension you can use an SSD in 2 ways:
- SSD Cache
- QTier technology

SSD Cache has an option inside the storage manager to enable it. In this way the system uses the SSD as a repository where to store the most often used data. Thus, you cannot decide to store particular application on the SSD for example Virtual Machines, the system will manage all of the dirty job.
SSD Qtier can be activated during the creation of a Storage Pool, so also in this case you can't decide what to put in the SSD because is the system that uses the fastes drive automatically.

This is what i understand reading QNAP documentation, if you have different information, please share
Three ways:
- SSD Cache
- As part of QTier volume
- As separate pool
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Ok then QNAP should give the user the ability to decide what to store on the SSD and what on the mechanicl disks :)
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

And you have, what's the problem?
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

storageman wrote:And you have, what's the problem?
Can i install HDStation on SSD and all of hits applications?

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”