OS apple to use print server as well as xp

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
tigers1904
First post

Re: OS apple to use print server as well as xp

Post by tigers1904 »

I was contemplating putting windows 7 on my MacBook Pro!
Has anyone done this procedure yet?
Or does anyone have any hints and tips to get it done?
philmiami
New here

Post by philmiami »

As for putting Windows 7 on Macbook Pro:
Yes, I have it on mine.
I have a MBP 6,2 (late 2010) i5 model.
I changed the hard drive from 320GB to hybrid Maxtor 500GB (4GB SSD onboard) and then made a 100GB partition thru boot camp.
I then installed Win 7 Ultimate x64
When my MBP boots up, I hold the S key down and two harddrives appear. One says Apple one say Windows. So I can select which OS I want.
I do have Parallels 5.0 and VMWare (latest) but I decided not to run a virtual computer and just use it this way.
Boot camp comes on the install dvd's with your mac so the cost is nothing.
Just my input on that question.
tiniko77
New here

Post by tiniko77 »

I also have been having the same issues but i found a solution and hopefully this works with everyone.

I have a desktop running Windows 7, a laptop running Vista and a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.8.1. All are connected via a workgroup including the NAS ts-419Pii. Both PCs can print fine after one setup but my macbook will NOT even after enabling Bonjour on the NAS. After 2 days of dealing with this i got tired and decided to just directly plugin the printer via USB to the Macbook Pro and have the printer driver automatically install itself. After the driver installed properly I added the printer to the Mac and chose the driver that was recently installed. Did a test print and worked perfectly!!

** Now knowing that the driver was already installed to the Macbook Pro I decided to plug the printer back into the NAS and ADD the printer.
Here are the steps as follows:
1. Go to System Preferences and click on Print&Scan - to add another printer
2. Under Printers click on the "+" sign to add a printer
3. Select the printer that is connected to the NAS
4. After selecting the correct printer Under "Use" click the drop down box and
select the correct driver that you just installed for your printer and click ADD.
5. Test print something using the printer you just setup with your Mac and it should work flawlessly!

Hope this works for you..Good Luck!!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Have any of you folks reviewed QNAP Tutorial: How to set up a network printer via QNAP NAS??

The article does not provide instructions for Windows XP, but it does provide specific instructions for:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
SirStranger
New here

Post by SirStranger »

I am using a Canon MF3240 printer, and as Google can tell you, they only offer print drivers for Windows. Is there some way I can set up some convoluted networking solution that would allow a computer running OS X or arbitrary Linux distro to print from it?
The current set up I'm thinking of performing is installing a virtualized embedded Windows setup into the NAS with the print drivers installed, redirecting print jobs from OS X, Linux, and Windows to the Windows VM, and then printing from that VM.
Is it possible to do this? How would I set that up?
The idea here is to avoid spending money on another ** printer in a post-paper world.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”