OS apple to use print server as well as xp

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
GhostWorks
Know my way around

Post by GhostWorks »

is it possible yet since publishing the manual to allow printing from apple to printer
parkensis
New here

I'm interested too

Post by parkensis »

Yup, I have also mac and pc at home an answer would be great!
Park
jullejuntunen
New here

Post by jullejuntunen »

I've tried this with QNAP 209Pro, OS X 10.4 and HP LaserJet 3050, without success: closest so far has been with IIP protocol and plain NAS address as the printer address: OSX tries to send the job to NAS but fails with "Network host 'v.x.y.z' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...". So I guess it's not just supported at the moment.

But I would really like to see this supported. Any plans for this QNAP ?

-julle
jens
New here

Post by jens »

Have you tried clicking "More printers" and going for a windows printer. You should pick up the printer shared here - assuming the workgroup is set to NAS (default). Most USB printers need the correct driver, so make sure the printer model is correct and not "Generic". If the share doesn't appear here then maybe go back over your settings on the NAS.
jullejuntunen
New here

Post by jullejuntunen »

Thanks for the tip, got it finally working :D

I went through a lot of trial and error, so not sure what actually was important, but here´s what I think did the trick

- I first enabled Microsoft networking in QNAP, just as standalone server
- Then I created new user "printer" and gave it access to Qusb mount.
- On my mac, I tested the user/mount combination is accessible by mounting that Qusb share as user "printer", i.e. in finder: apple-K, NAS address, and in pop-up window I used user "printer" and selected share Qusb.

- Then I basically followed instructions described here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301397

Under section "How to manually add a windows shared printer"

The trick is to hold option key while pressing "more printers" in add printers -dialog. This enables "advanced" option under top drop-down menu (the one with AppleTalk/Bluetooth/SMB options).
In the advanced dialog I selected "Windows printer (SAMBA). As URI I used
smb://user:password@server/sharename

Where user:password was my new "printer" user, server is my NAS IP address and sharename was "NAS". As printer type I just used "General".
Then in following dialogs the share and printer names were shown automatically and I just clicked them through and got the printer finally connected. Btw. looks that QNAP automatically names printer by addind suffix "PR" to QNAP host name.

cheers
julle
adamcr
New here

Post by adamcr »

Thanks julle!

I was having trouble printing to my HP PSC 1205 when connected to my QNAP TS-109 and this tip helped me out.

I also installed the HPIJS printer drivers so that my printer type appeared. Don't worry about the fact that the downloads are labelled PPC rather than Intel or Universal -- they work fine both on my MacBook running Leopard and my iBook running Panther.

I also found that using the CUPS administration pages on http://localhost:631 were sometimes easier than the default Windows printer setup on Leopard.
GhostWorks
Know my way around

Re: OS apple to use print server as well as xp

Post by GhostWorks »

Thanks for the Answer on the Big Q.....

I have now got a QNAP TS-109 myself & Macbook (intel) & xp so will test first at my place before sorting out the issue for the client with wife with macbook and him with Windows XP trying to print , if there is anything i need more two know on this issue it would be grateful

JDH
Easy as a breeze

Re:

Post by JDH »

adamcr wrote: I also found that using the CUPS administration pages on http://localhost:631 were sometimes easier than the default Windows printer setup on Leopard.
@adamcr
Could you elaborate the detailed steps in using CUPS please as I have no idea on what should I enter for some of the settings. Thanks.

JDH
NAS Model: TS-453B Mini/TS-253P
FW Ver: 4.4.3.1421 / 4.4.3.1421
No. of HDDs: 4/2
HDD Model: WD Red
HDD Capacity: 6/3TB
RAID Config: RAID 1
Services enabled: All standard services
Ext. Devices: USB Printer (HP Laser Jet 1320)
NAS Speed/MTU: 100Mbps/1500 Bytes
techdef
Getting the hang of things

Post by techdef »

Has anyone gotten this to work with inkjet? Ive got a canon pro9000 and would LOVE to get this to work, so far no luck...
Havalina
Starting out

Post by Havalina »

The trick is to hold option key while pressing "more printers" in add printers -dialog. This enables "advanced" option under top drop-down menu (the one with AppleTalk/Bluetooth/SMB options).
In the advanced dialog I selected "Windows printer (SAMBA). As URI I used
smb://user:password@server/sharename

Where user:password was my new "printer" user, server is my NAS IP address and sharename was "NAS". As printer type I just used "General".
Then in following dialogs the share and printer names were shown automatically and I just clicked them through and got the printer finally connected. Btw. looks that QNAP automatically names printer by addind suffix "PR" to QNAP host name.

cheers
i really dont understand why you type NAS as share name? shouldent it be qusb?

and i really cant get this method to work :-(

im trying to install my printer under OS X...

its clear that the NAS knows the name of my printer, but i really cant get OS X to use it and print...

at this point im extremey desperate...i really cant see what im doing wrong
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

i followed jullejuntunens description and it was successful. u can find the "share"-name of your printer in your qnap web-interface under "external devices"/"usbprinter".
in my case it was not even necessary to add login/password to the URL. The printer asked me for this on the first print and i could save it in keychain.

cheers,
bendsch
NASmodesl: TS-459 Pro+ , TS-251
shanm
New here

Post by shanm »

Apple Developer Connection If you are running a different version of Mac OS X,display connec-tions connections tions may continue to use the print context. with the X print server (i.e. fonts containing glyphs) as well as any The xp-listfonts-modes xp-listfontsmodes modes attribute is provided so

Thanks

profil entrepreneur bio - tete de lit
Willo
Know my way around

Post by Willo »

Have a look at this site.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... P7clmoXlJQ

Specific to Lexmark X215 but the steps are the same. It would be a matter of doing the same thing but substitute your printer model in. If you can't find your printer model in OSX Google it for support in OSX which is what I did to find this article.

Also make sure the user account you are using to print with has an account on the NAS.
FreedomPirate01
Starting out

Post by FreedomPirate01 »

anyone willing to walk me threw this? i have HP laserjet and 119P and can't get it to work for the life of me... :?:
QNAP SS-439 PRO with (4) 7200 WD BLACK 320GB in Raid 5
mars5846
First post

Post by mars5846 »

I have a Fujitsu DL7600 printer and it never even worked once..Can somebody help me with this??

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”