Migrating From From ts-859u to ts870u-RP

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Pimply
New here

Migrating From From ts-859u to ts870u-RP

Post by Pimply »

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have been an owner of a QNAP TS-859u for a couple of years. Yesterday, I purchased a TS-870u-RP that should be arriving in the next few days. Ideally, what I'd like to do is after the 870 arrives, is to pull the drives out of the 859u and place them in the 870u, boot up the 870u and just have to configure the settings, and most importantly preserve my data. I was told that this can be done, but the person never tested this. I would like to know if that is the best way for me to handle the migration, as I am obviously concerned about losing my data. The 859u has always been really flaky for me in the past, and going forward it will be used as my backup. My 859u currently has 8 6TB WD Red drives in it, in a RAID 6 configuration (in case you needed to know that to help me). I have about 18TB of used space out of the approximately 35-36TB available. I obviously don't have a backup for all of this data right now, only the really critical stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having another 8 disks on hand, that I can throw into the new 870u when it arrives. Otherwise, I would fill it with new disks and just slowly copy the files over to it that way. I guess I'm just not sure how to handle this migration and am looking for some guidance.

The 859u will be used as my backup, after the migration is complete. I plan on throwing some random drives in it, and setting it up as a RAID 5. It's only purpose will most likely be to backup my data from the 870u.

Thank you all for your time and attention. I'm pretty excited about the new QNAP, and wanted to plan ahead so I don't rush and lose my data.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”