Error:: TS-410 eSata Drive failure

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
CF-101B
New here

Error:: TS-410 eSata Drive failure

Post by CF-101B »

Hi Folks:

This my first post after owning a TS-410 for 5 years and having no major issues. So kudos to QNAP.

Problem Synopsis:
We use the TS-410 only for Windows SMB file sharing.

My problem is with my eSATA drive which I use for backups. It has been working continuously since April 2014. In April this year the eSATA enclosure/drive was flagged in the log file as no longer recognized (my bad that I have not checked my error logs in the last 3 months and I change my email password) so I do not have any additional context as to what the conditions were at time of the failure.

Log Messages
I get the the following errors in the log (last attempt which was the eSATA port change):
Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content
Information 2016/07/24 09:15:58 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [eSATADisk2] Device removed.
Information 2016/07/24 09:15:25 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [eSATADisk2] Device detected. The file system is unknown.
Error 2016/07/24 09:15:23 System 127.0.0.1 localhost Plugged drive failed to work.

My trouble shooting activity to date:
1. Update the FW. Result: No change
2. Power cycled eSATA enclosure: No change
3. Unplug/plug eSATA cable: No change
3. Move eSATA cable from upper port to lower port. Always was in the upper port. Result: A longer time to identity the drive but eventual failure. See above error message.

Other notes:
The eSATA enclosure is from Mediasonic Smart.drive HD6-SU2S2-BK. It has a single colour indicator light. My drive is a 3 1/2" 2TB which is a Seagate Barracuda. The drive is spinning up (I picked up the enclosure and felt the drive spinning and head movement)

I am looking any additional guidance in troubling (no cost if possible) the problem before I need to go out and purchase new hardware. It is the :
1. Cable?
2. Enclosure?
3. Drive?
4. QNAP HW or SW?

In the worse case scenario where I need to purchase a new external backup device, can I recover my backups? And what are your recommendations for a new product?

Thank you, Carl

Here are the requested device and installation details:

Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS - Windows 7 with Chrome
NAS model - TS-410
Firmware Version/Build numbers - not just "The latest" - Firmware version 4.2.1 Build 20160601. Upgraded this morning.
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking) - Single Port. N/A

If Disk related please also specify: N/A
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: Error:: TS-410 eSata Drive failure

Post by Spider99 »

Hi

Sounds to me like the Seagate disk might be the issue - if the file system is unknown that does hint at the enclosure as a whole being the problem - probably the disk could be the interface could the cable - my bet is the drive

the seagate barracudas have a bad rap - i have lost 9 (dead or bad sectors) of the 12 i have bought over the years - they do not like running all the time

i guess the disk is out of warranty?

do you have a esata port in your pc by chance to test if windows can see it? If not can you pop the drive into your machine and test it there?

go to the seagate web site and download the seagate tools app that can test hdd - oh and dont let windows format the disk when you plug it in as i suspect its formatted as ext4 rather than ntfs - this does not matter for testing
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
CF-101B
New here

Re: Error:: TS-410 eSata Drive failure

Post by CF-101B »

Thanks Tim. I do not have an eSATA port on my PC so I'll pop out the drive and as you suggested run some diagnostic tests.

Carl

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”