TS-451A Memory Upgrade Issues

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
nkildal
Starting out

Re: TS-451A Memory Upgrade Issues

Post by nkildal »

Andrikos wrote:
nkildal wrote:
Nice - I hope the new RAM will also solve your problems.

I have still not run into any issues, since I changed to the A-data modules ;-)

/Nicolai
Hi Nicolai,

what about new 4.3.3 firmware? Everything still working ok?
Hi Andrikos,

Yes - I'm on 4.3.3 and my 8Gb RAM is still working fine - no stability issues...

/Nicolai
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

Another data point... I just got a TS-451A-2G and I immediately upgraded it to 8gb (2x 4gb, crucial and samsung). I setup two RAID-1 volumes (Disks 1&2 and 3&4) and everything seemed to work okay. However, every time I reboot the NAS, slots 3&4 would always show up as inactive. I swapped the drives around and it would always have issues with slots 3&4. However, if I powered off the NAS and powered it back on, everything shows up fine. This is on 4.3.3.0210 build 20170606 and with 4x WD 10TB reds.

I also reinitialized the NAS and wiped the drives to start from scratch again and it would do the same thing. I reverted back to the original 2gb RAM and there are no issues.

There appears to be an issue with more ram and slots 3&4.

I also just tried with 16gb (2x 8gb crucial) with the same results, the disks in slots 3&4 show up as inactive on reboot. If the NAS is powered off and powered back on, everything shows up fine.

Are there different processes/scripts that are run during a reboot vs power on?
nastrodamos
First post

Post by nastrodamos »

Been following this thread for months and finally pulled the trigger on the ADATA modules that user theappleguy posted a page or two back. These: http://amzn.to/2suozrV

And I'll report back periodically after initial install and after subsequent QNAP firmware updates.

I have Crashplan running happily a in a Docker in Container Station. It's barely holding on for dear life and needs the RAM badly.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

trevor63 wrote:Another data point... I just got a TS-451A-2G and I immediately upgraded it to 8gb (2x 4gb, crucial and samsung). I setup two RAID-1 volumes (Disks 1&2 and 3&4) and everything seemed to work okay. However, every time I reboot the NAS, slots 3&4 would always show up as inactive. I swapped the drives around and it would always have issues with slots 3&4.
There appears to be an issue with more ram and slots 3&4.

I also just tried with 16gb (2x 8gb crucial) with the same results, the disks in slots 3&4 show up as inactive on reboot. If the NAS is powered off and powered back on, everything shows up fine.
Are there different processes/scripts that are run during a reboot vs power on?
QTS 4.3.3.0229 ff. includes a fix for this non-recognition of HDD in the slots 3&4.
[Enhancements]
- Improved the compatibility of the third and fourth drive bays on the TS-451A with high-capacity hard drives.
If it does not cure the issue, please contact tech support for further analysis.

Regards,
-Kurt
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

I have updated to that one and the latest 20170703 build as well with the same result. Tech support just says to use Qnap ram.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the ADATA modules that others recommended (which are supposedly the same as the Qnap ones) and it still does the same thing, the drives in slots 3&4 go inactive on reboot, but are perfectly fine with a power cycle (power off/on). With the original 2gb of RAM, it works fine.

Others seem to have no issues. The one difference that I see is that I am using WD 10TB Red drives. They are on Qnap's compatibility list, but I wonder if there is a weird bug with more than 2gb of RAM combined with the 10TB drives?
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

For anyone that is curious, I did some troubleshooting and tried a bunch of different combinations.

tl;dr: With 16GB of ADATA RAM, the disks in slots 3 & 4 still become inactive on reboot, but are okay when the NAS is shutdown and powered back on. When done in different combinations, the disks in slots 3 & 4 would become inactive at various stages. This was the only combination that I found so far that went as far as it did before having issues.

These were my steps to configure my TS-451A. Everything worked well until I created the second RAID-1 group with disks 3 & 4.

-Login over SSH and run (will take about 30-60 secs for each disk):
for i in a b c d ; do dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd$i bs=1M count=10k ; done

-From the admin web interface, Reinitialize NAS and shutdown

-Take out all disks

-Turn on NAS without any disks

-Navigate to web interface where you will be on the Hard Drive Missing screen

-Insert disk in slot 1 and wait for it to be recognized and redirect you to the smart install screen

-Complete basic NAS setup
-DON'T CHANGE NAS NAME, LEAVE AS DEFAULT
-Select Configure Disks Later

-Insert disks in slots 2, 3, and 4 one at a time. Wait until each disk is recognized before installing the next one.

-Shutdown the NAS and power it back on

****Rebooted here to test and all disks were still good after reboot, no volumes were created yet****

-Change NAS name

****Rebooted here to test and all disks were still good after reboot, no volumes were created yet****

-Enable Force secure connection

-Disable disk standby mode

-Disable web server

-Disable Wake on Lan

-Create new RAID-1 Storage pool and volume with disks 1 & 2

-Wait until RAID Group 1 completes synchronizing (1 day or longer)

****Rebooted here to test and all disks were still good after reboot x2****

-Created another RAID-1 simple volume (RAID Group 2) with disks 3 & 4

-Wait until RAID Group 2 completes synchronizing (1 day or longer)

****Rebooted here to test and disks in slots 3 & 4 were inactive. ARRRGGH!****
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

Hmm, okay, so Qnap recently released a new update, 4.3.3.0262 build 20170727. After updating to this, drives 3 and 4 are even more broken for me. Before, it used to consistently work with a shutdown and power on. And it wouldn't work when rebooting. Now drives 3 & 4 are always inactive with a shutdown or with a reboot. Arrrgh!
jbert
First post

Post by jbert »

Did you receive any information on this issue?

I installed 4.3.3.0262 on my TS-451A and I am having the same problem: drives 3 and 4 will not mount. I can eject and re-insert them, and I hear them spin up and be accessed, but they don't show up in any app as active. I have 4 8TB Seagate drives. This is my first QNAP device, and since the firmware was available as soon as turned it on, I upgraded the firmware and had the failure happen soon after. Not real happy with this device so far.
ianfretwell
Starting out

Post by ianfretwell »

Admittedly I have a TS563 and not a 451a...

but - I've had the unit for 15 months, 5 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives in RAID5, upgraded to 16GB RAM straight after purchase. No issues until now (and after installing latest firmware) - slots 4 & 5 can no longer be populated together. I now can only use slots 1, 2, 3, 4 or 1, 2, 3, 5 with no issues - but as soon as I try to add all five disks slots 4 & 5 go mad.

So the RAM might have gone bad after 15 months - perhaps...but it should still be bad with only 4 disks installed so I'm not too convinced by that.

Just sounds so similar to the issues seen by you 451a owners.
cejones
New here

Post by cejones »

I am considering purchasing a TS-451A and would like to know what improvements one expects going from the stock 2GB memory to 8 or 16GB. Does this help with transcoding videos? I just would like to know what benefits having the more memory makes on NAS performance. I definitely don't want to have drives 3 and 4 stop working due to the memory upgrade....

Thanks for any information.

Chris
Austin, TX
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

very little impact on transcoding

if local playback is happening (so no streaming to devices outside home) ditch transcoding and just use good playback devices that play everything as is

I play several 4k streams ... served from low power arm 512MB RAM qnap .. works great
zeroxray
First post

Post by zeroxray »

Was there any solution to this? I'm having the same issue and at my wits end here
cha-ka-lak
New here

Post by cha-ka-lak »

All - I also have to report failure when trying to upgrade my TS-451A from 4GB to 16GB.

My config:
Disk 1-3 in Raid 5 - WD Red 3TB
Disk 4 - Single 1 TB Disk

I tried 2 modules of type ADATA ADDS1600W8G11-S 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz

Also Disk 3 & 4 were not displayed in the system after booting up. After installing the original RAM, the Disks were displayed again and RAID was rebuild.

While exchanging the modules, I found that my device was delivered with two Kingston modules (picture attached) with 1,35V specs. But the RAM holder shows a requirement for 1,5V modules (see picture).
I wonder if this might a cause of the issue? Has anyone tried 1,5V modules?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordomatic69
New here

Post by fordomatic69 »

Anyone found a solution to this issue yet? I upgrade the memory in the TS-451A-2G to the Kingston module KVR16LS11/8 and after I shut down (Powered Off), then Powered the unit back on, Disk 3 and 4 were missing. This really **!!!
walterjoles
First post

Post by walterjoles »

I contacted customer support about this. They told me that it is a known issue with the model and that they aren't going to fix it. They said that they cannot recommend using ram that wasn't purchased directly from them. They then directed me to their site which sells 4 GB of ram for 160 dollars. That is a joke. It would be 320 for 8 GB of ram. Not to mention the ram that came in the device is ADATA anyway which is obviously not qnap branded. This is ridiculous.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”