DOM Apacer replacement

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
90Ninety
Know my way around

Re: DOM Apacer replacement

Post by 90Ninety »

Yeah its interesting . I will mount it again and do a few screenshots if that helps?

These USB flash drives are not the most stable mediums of storage. IT helps to be able to back them up / clone them , where replacement is needed
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

schumaku wrote:Can you provide a partition listing? Just curious...

When I have it right, there must be a partition holding the recovery boot for example.
Sorry it was so late but there is a few different partition viewing methods

Linux images are here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8x71 ... m93TmdscGc

I had tried to extract some of the partition contents here , the folders got a bit jumbled up though

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8x71 ... VItdW5yNGs

Windows partition information is shown
qnap flash partitions.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdrsteve
Starting out

Post by cdrsteve »

Was just curious if you were ever able to flash that replacement DOM. I have a TS-453A that failed a few days ago (boot loop with and without drive installed) and appears to have a bad DOM. I plan to open it up later today and see what's installed in regards to the DOM. I had a lengthy tech call with QNAP yesterday and now waiting for them to get back to me with a ballpark non-warranty repair quote (I am not the original owner) :(. I suspect, as I have found in the past dealing with QNAP, that the quote will be ridiculously high for what needs to be done. Since this is my spare back-up target NAS; time for some DIY magic!
Model: TVS-871/i7 16GB FW: 4.2.5 Build: 20170413
Disks: 8 x 8TB WD Red
UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD
Media Targets: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro 2017 (4K) x 3; Samsung UN70KU6300FXZA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model: UNRAID 6.4 (beta)
Array/Parity Disks: 8 x 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
Cache: Samsung 850P SSD x2
VM: Samsung 960P NVME PCIe
Misc: SM X11SSM-F, E3-1275v6, 64GB DDR4 ECC,
SAS9211-8i (IT) HBA, Intel Pro/1000 VT 4-port NIC, FD 804 Case,
Seasonic x750 PSU
Model: TS-669L 3GB FW: 4.2.5 Build 20170413
Disks: 6 x 8TB WD Red
Use: Network Back-up Target
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

I was not able to flash the DOM directly , however I did eventually replace it

I purchased a second identical Qnap 451
I took the DOM out of the new unit , then Attached a USB cable
then I cloned it ( using DD in linux) to a New Blank DOM ( and a spare ) I got from Aliexpress
I put the one of the new Cloned DOM back into the Old QNAP unit
Sold old unit on Ebay

I did initially ( with a linux wiz friend ) try burning the firmware image to the the blank dom but Did not succeed .

Perhaps I could try compiling the spare DOM contents to an image file? Then you can try burning it ?
cdrsteve
Starting out

Post by cdrsteve »

90Ninety wrote:Perhaps I could try compiling the spare DOM contents to an image file? Then you can try burning it ?
I you are willing to try a making an image, I would surely give it a try. I am hoping when I get to inspecting the existing DOM, I find something "fixable" but I suspect that won't be the case. BTW, what replacement DOM's did you purchase? Might be a good idea to keep a couple prepped "spares" on hand :).

Thanks for the reply!
Seasonic x750 PSU
cdrsteve
Starting out

Post by cdrsteve »

90Ninety wrote:Perhaps I could try compiling the spare DOM contents to an image file? Then you can try burning it ?
Was able to resolve my issue today. Removed DOM and checked in Windows using Paragon ExtFS and also in Ubuntu and all partitions appeared okay. Attempting to boot w/o DOM resulted in no change to boot cycling problem. This led me to think this was indeed a motherboard issue. Searched for info on the motherboard w/o any success (still searching) so decided it was ...... DIY time. Removed CR2032 back-up battery, grounded positive battery terminal for a few minutes, and rebooted system w/o DOM installed. Boot cycling issue cleared, normal start-up tones returned, and I was able to enter the BIOS. Reviewed/updated BIOS settings, reinstalled existing DOM, and rebooted system. NAS is now fully back to normal! Cheap and easy fix... luckily. Sorry QNAP, I'll keep that $400.
Seasonic x750 PSU
dmurray2413
Starting out

Post by dmurray2413 »

awesome!
Who'd have thunk... very, very old school. :)
cdrsteve
Starting out

Post by cdrsteve »

Yeah, you'd think we would have moved away from DOM's by now. Knocking on wood; my 453A has been running without issue since the last "reset" but at least I know what to do if it happens again. Luckily my TVS871 and TS669L remain concern free... for now :). Building an Xeon-based "Free" box now so no more DOM's for me !
Seasonic x750 PSU
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Post by buggy82 »

Hi guys,

I´m a bit confused that you try to backup existing DOMs when there are DOM images available in the official QNAP Wiki.
Did I get something wrong here?

Here are the DOM Images : https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Rec ... -based_NAS

Have a non-working DOM myself. Apacer DOM in TS651.

Kind Regards,
buggy82
TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
cdrsteve
Starting out

Post by cdrsteve »

We "try"; because we can :)! What kind of problems are you having with your TS651 Buggy82?
Seasonic x750 PSU
habee
Starting out

Post by habee »

Hi all,

the information in the wiki is quite outdated, and i would not recommend to use Damn Small Linux for recovery of newer NAS (with HDMI), I did not get it to work.
And even worse, the recovery images are not full working images, these are only factory test images, which you have to update with QFinder to an actual image. It does not
provide a web interface or different ways to upgrade fimrware.

So I recommend the way described here (using Ubuntu-Live-Images):
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=97200&start=15

But even in Ubuntu my DOM was not recognized when it was in its original place. I had to pull it out, connect it to an USB-Cable and then it got recognized by ubuntu.

I got my system only to work again when I flashed the actual firmware which has to be decrypted before. You will find more info in the thread I mentioned above.
eleonora01
Starting out

Post by eleonora01 »

I want to get a USB DOM for TS 251. I was not able to find exact Apacer model for sale. The KingSpec is also not available. Can you please advise on which other units can be used instead. Thanks.
buggy82

Post by buggy82 »

cdrsteve wrote:We "try"; because we can :)! What kind of problems are you having with your TS651 Buggy82?
Solved it :DD

... and just finished writing two HowTo´s about it:

[HowTo] QNAP BIOS recovery of completely dead mainboard [SPI flash method] [x51, x53]
[HowTo] Replace broken DOM module with a simple USB stick

buggy82

Edit: P.S.: And - of course - now I made a backup of the DOM image on the USB, too. If it breaks, I simply flash another USB stick with it. :D

@eleonora01: The second HowTo could be useful for you.
Last edited by buggy82 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
buggy82

Post by buggy82 »

habee wrote: i would not recommend to use ** Small Linux for recovery of newer NAS (with HDMI), I did not get it to work.
Me neither. It did not even boot up as in the manual.
habee wrote:the recovery images are not full working images, these are only factory test images, which you have to update with QFinder to an actual image. It does not
provide a web interface or different ways to upgrade fimrware.
You´re right so I would rather call them "Recovery Images", just like the recoveries on android phones. They are just the base to install the real operating system.
The thing about this, which I really consider annoying is that you have to rely on the propriatary Qfinder software to "magically" connect to the NAS over ethernet to transfer and install its encrypted firmware image.

It´s pretty comfortable on the one hand, but - from my humble point of view - it should not be the only option to do this.
Anyway, for security reasons no one should never connect such a "zombie" NAS in recovery mode to a router, but should always do the Qfinder connection with a dedicated direct ethernet connection.

Kind Regards,
buggy82
shotround
First post

Post by shotround »

cdrsteve wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:43 am
Was able to resolve my issue today. Removed DOM and checked in Windows using Paragon ExtFS and also in Ubuntu and all partitions appeared okay. Attempting to boot w/o DOM resulted in no change to boot cycling problem. This led me to think this was indeed a motherboard issue. Searched for info on the motherboard w/o any success (still searching) so decided it was ...... DIY time. Removed CR2032 back-up battery, grounded positive battery terminal for a few minutes, and rebooted system w/o DOM installed. Boot cycling issue cleared, normal start-up tones returned, and I was able to enter the BIOS. Reviewed/updated BIOS settings, reinstalled existing DOM, and rebooted system. NAS is now fully back to normal! Cheap and easy fix... luckily. Sorry QNAP, I'll keep that $400.
just wanted to share that plugging the dom into my pc mobo got going again. came home from work yesterday and found it in a continuous boot loop. did all the typical user level stuff as found with google. then I saw this post. removed the cr2032 battery, and the dom stopped lighting up at boot. several hours later of retracing steps, I broke down and pulled the dom. stuck it in the windows pc and the dom lit up.

I have a ts673. it has no video out but a console port. I found a cable that should work on amazon. I didn't exactly find any 512mb doms but I found some 4 and 8 gb for relatively cheap. should I leave good enough alone or experiment? this is the 'main' nas. I do have backups of the data.

whats funny is that the ts673 is a warranty replacement for a 5 bay unit that was doing the same continuous reboot. I probably saw this post back then when the old one did it too. but didn't pull the dom as I had a few weeks left on the warranty. never expected to get an upgraded unit as a replacement.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”