Netgear Stora failed, HDD work with my Qnap

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
martinkingy
New here

Netgear Stora failed, HDD work with my Qnap

Post by martinkingy »

Hello guys,
I have a Netgear Stora 2 bay NAS, the unit has died but the 2 HDD are in good condition and are in a raid format so they are a mirror of each other (2TB X 2 units full of data).
I have a Qnap TS-459 Pro 2, it has all 4 bays full in raid 5, can i get some sort of enclosure for the 2 HDD from the stora and plug it in the back of my Qnap unit and its good to go????(please lol) or do i have to transfer the data across i don't think my USB temp HDD reader works because my laptop is windows.(i don't want to dual boot unix if possible)
I want to seamlessly integrate the 2 stora HDD into the Qnap NAS with the data, what are my options ?
thank you for the help :)
OneCD
Guru

Re: Netgear Stora failed, HDD work with my Qnap

Post by OneCD »

Hi martinkingy, and welcome to the forum! :)
martinkingy wrote:I have a Netgear Stora 2 bay NAS, the unit has died but the 2 HDD are in good condition and are in a raid format so they are a mirror of each other (2TB X 2 units full of data).
Sounds like these were configured as RAID 1. Is this right?

You won't be able to maintain an external RAID 1 configuration with your QNAP NAS. You can connect one drive and read and write to it, but you can't connect both drives and RAID them. :geek:

So, connect one drive, and copy the data off it into the NAS.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
martinkingy
New here

Post by martinkingy »

Thank you OneCD for the welcome :), i am new to the whole Qnap NAS and i have to say its more user friendly than the Stora.
Yes I think the stora was setup in raid one, but i readed that it was a hardware raid one?? not sure.
So I can't mount it to the Qnap as its unrecognizable, and my windows laptop can't see it..I'm not wanting to do the whole dual boot ubuntu thing if i don't have too.
Maybe the issue could be fixed by getting an enclosure off the " Compatibility list > External Storage Device > TS-459 Pro II > Recommended" ? would it then be able to read the data on the disk from the Stora and i'll be able to copy it across ??
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it as my wife's shows are on the Stora and she keeps telling me about it lol!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

martinkingy wrote:Yes I think the stora was setup in raid one, but i readed that it was a hardware raid one?? not sure.
That's OK, after researching it on the Netgear Stora forum, looks like it's RAID 1 with XFS.
martinkingy wrote:So I can't mount it to the Qnap as its unrecognizable, and my windows laptop can't see it.
Current QNAP firmware does not support XFS (well, it's not listed in /proc/filesystems but then neither is HFS+ ;)), and Windows is quite limited with its own filesystem support, so you'll need to try something like this. Then copy off your data to your PC's HDD.
martinkingy wrote:I'm not wanting to do the whole dual boot ubuntu thing if i don't have too.
You won't have to dual-boot Ubuntu & Windows. Grab an Ubuntu ISO, burn it to a blank CD or DVD and boot off it. Ubuntu ISOs have a 'live' OS in them (they don't need to be installed to a HDD).
martinkingy wrote:Maybe the issue could be fixed by getting an enclosure off the " Compatibility list > External Storage Device > TS-459 Pro II > Recommended" ? would it then be able to read the data on the disk from the Stora and i'll be able to copy it across ??
No, enclosure type won't matter if the filesystem is unsupported. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
martinkingy
New here

Post by martinkingy »

thats some awesome info, thank you OneCD.
I will look at doing something this weekend and will let you know how it goes :)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

martinkingy wrote:I will look at doing something this weekend and will let you know how it goes :)
Cool. 8)

If you're new to Ubuntu (or Linux in general), then take your time, read the notes. It looks a bit different to Windows.

If you get stuck, Google is your friend. If you get really stuck, post back here for community comment. Include any messages or screenshots if available.

Good luck!

martinkingy
New here

Post by martinkingy »

So i tried the ubuntu on a usb, had the grub issue and while reading how to get that fixed i was thinking about all the problems with wifi last time i played with Ubuntu so i gave up lol.
I ended up buying a second hand Stora and 2X 2 gig ram expansion for the Qnap for $35 for the both which has worked out pretty well because the Qnap media upload function works pretty well with out tieing my laptop into the task, but thank you for helping me and spending your time help me to understand my options.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”